Popped my Cherry today

Originally Posted By: cmccann
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Based on my findings and with client participation, he backed out on the deal, making me a DEAL BUSTER. Basically the back half of the house was falling down, block foundation built in the 1920’s. I felt kind of awkward, but at the same time it felt good to protect my client. Century 21 isn’t to happy, but I didn’t bust the deal there house did. I was not referred by the Realtor, I was found by the NACHI locator. Funny thing is after he nixed the deal he called me up about another house he found that was much better at the same price and wanted me to check it out for him. I guess what I’m saying is Don’t be intimidated by the Realtors, they like to try.After 16 home Inspections this is my first. I started 2 months ago. Good luck to all and remember who you work for!!!

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Chuck,

Inspectors don't (shouldn't) blow deals, houses do (should). After many years of this, I've never caused a deal to fall through by causing buyer panic or remorse. I have shown buyers major defects, like the one you described, and the buyers have made decisions based on the findings.

I have also found that any Realtor you want to get referrals from won't mind if the house kills a deal. They may grumble a bit, but the good Realtors don't want their buyers to get a bad house. That will kill future deals (referrals) for them, and could cost them money down the road in a lawsuit.

Sounds like you did a good job ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Blaine

Thanks Blaine, I have been reading a lot of post and I like what you have to say. If it wasn’t for that 24 car picture I might even like you. I know I’m a Gordon hater, I almost felt sorry for him this year and then I woke up. As for who I pull for I’ve given up on the “NEXTEL CUP” until Kasey Kahne gets there…See ya and thanks for the opinion.

NACHI MAB!

I’ve been watching Jeff race since he broke into WC in 92, and even before that in the Busch series and when he ran dirt midgets. Used to know some guys who worked for the Hendrick’s back in the early 90’s and they said he was pretty cool. Besides, there are only a couple of guys in the cup series that I don’t like. They are all pretty approachable.

Blaine ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

True, I would be a Gordon supporter if he had not left Davis racing hanging, and stayed in a Ford. Baby Ruth Bar Car…

NACHI MAB!

Davis racing doesn’t seem to hold drivers to well. What are they doing letting Ward Burton go??? The problem there is the crew chief. You can never blame anyone for goint to Hendrick motor sports, Richard Childress, Gibbs or DEI. The equipment is just better there than the smaller guys. And look out for Evernham Racing, he has his stuff together too!

Blaine

Yeah I know, I hope Kahne ends up with Ray. That would be a great match, just like Jeff and Ray. Kahne comes from the USAC, and the World Of Outlaws. Anyway we could go on for hours, How many clients based on your report have not purchased a home because of it? Just curious, Thanks

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: pdacey

OK, I’ll open the can of worms. What’s the big attraction of watching a bunch of people driving really fast in an oval? I just don’t get it.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

I guess maybe about 20 or so out of 3000 plus. In most of those cases, foundation problems were the culprit. Unless the market is unbelievable, it takes a long time to get your money back on a significant structural repair. I found improperly installed TJI’s in a 500k house that was one year old. 27 consecutive joists along the front of the home had warped in excess of 1? inches, causing the first and second level floors to drop. Recent repairs were visible at the drywall, recent paint, stuck windows, difficult doors, etc. Home was a forclosure sale. Estimate was 50k to correct. Buyer was ecstatic, Realtor went Whew, good call. Buyer walked, bought a 650k home which was in great shape, and tipped me $100. That was the most memorable one, anyway.

Blaine

Originally Posted By: pdacey

I had one last week. 9 year old house. 7 vertical cracks in the perimeter beam of the slab. 6 of them went straight up through the brick veneer siding, through bricks and all. The rest of the house was impeccable. Beautifully maintained. Buyer thanked me and walked.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Patrick, Racing is a great deal of fun when you go to one. Lots of beer and if the weather is right lots of bikini’s. Not to mention the power the cars make and the speed. Go to one and you will be hooked. Oh and Camp at the track, avoid driving, because of the beer and the atmosphere is second to none. Good finds on the homes, The one I found had a block foundation, the right rear corner had several cracks and recent repair work to hide them. I made a mental note, and when I went inside the home the area was a stair well into the basement. Shelving was tipped, not to mention separation between the wall and ceiling. He never noticed it until I pointed out to him. Also I had the “I’m falling over feeling” when I was in that part of the house. Also they had added about 6 additional beam supports, (improperly installed set on brick on top of the concrete). Buyer walked and I got a nasty e-mail from the seller’s Realtor.(Loser) The Realtor was acting as a “duel” for both seller and buyer. I’m sure she was looking for the double dip.

NACHI MAB!

Patrick,

Racing is a sport that is just as enjoyable for the fans as it is for the participants. I find watching drivers go from 140mph or more down to 60 or so in the turns, and then back up to speed is just about as enjoyable as doing it, only you can drink beer and you don't get as tired.

Any sport can be brought down to the "stupid" level. Football is a bunch of guys banging into each other while trying to advance a hunk of leather filled with air across a line. Golf is just a game of hit, follow, hit again. Baseball can be made to sound even dumber, and don't start me on basketball.

All of the above sports are enjoyable to play, and to watch if you are into them. The difference between them and racing (and I'll watch or race any kind of motor vehicle, anywhere, anytime) is that almost all of us drive a car, and most drivers think they are the best on the road and cuss everyone else. So it is easy to relate to the racing for a great many people. It helps if you grew up a motor head, from motor heads, and had racers of one type or another in your family, but my wife didn't have that and she is just as big of fan as I am.

Try it, you'll like it! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Blaine

PS, just to stay on topic (sort of) we probably have all had deals die one way or another, you just don't want to ever kill one unnecessarily or your name is mud.