Possible asbestos siding

I’ve looked through other posts in regard to this and I’m pretty confident these may be asbestos containing siding shingles. The house was built in 1950. The shingles are cementatious in nature, almost like hardieplank. There is visible damage all around the house so I’m thinking that repairs may not be straightforward since the cladding may contain asbestos. This is my first issue with asbestos siding so I’m looking to make sure I’m on the right track. Any feedback would be welcomed. Thanks in advance, Tony

Around this area that wavey edge pattern is a give away to possible acm siding on houses that age.

1 Like

It looks like it, Tony, like Micael said: "The waves edge is a give away to possible acm siding of the era.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I appreciate the confirmation.

Keep in mind that typically, that siding is not dangerous as long as it is left intact. No sawing,sanding, etc.
Some mixed information out there. Do a bit if research on it.
One good article here

2 Likes

Who cares? Asbestos siding is inert as long as it is not disturbed, so don’t freak a buyer out about this for no reason. The fibers are only released when it is cut or broken. And it’s not inside the home.

4 Likes

Agree with Ryan. The only issue with this siding is disposal, if removed. I always suggested to my clients to just cover it with another more modern siding, rather that removal, if necessary.

Cheers

2 Likes

there is most likely asbestos inside the house. in the flooring tiles, popcorn ceilings, ceiling tiles, etc.

Hey guys, thanks again for the feedback. I like for my clients to be aware of their situations. Some people are going to freak at the mention of asbestos no matter what you say. The mere connotations of cancer send them over the edge despite the relatively low risk. As such, if there is a possibility of asbestos; I inform my client of its presence. I’d rather they know now, then find out later and want to hold me accountable to something that is “low risk”. That being said, I do educate them in regards to asbestos and the inherent risk when disturbed. In this case, since several areas of the siding were in disrepair and needed future work, I informed my client of the risks in making it friable.
Thanks for the comment William, however, that’s an assumption I’m not willing to make; especially since the ceilings were wood panels and the flooring was vinyl.

Good luck with that. Try putting a nail through it.

2 Likes

It looks like chickenshit LP siding to me.

I use terms such as possible asbestos, likely asbestos, consistent with asbestos etc. since I am not testing the material.

They just cover it with rigid foam and smash the nails through behind it. It leaves all kinds of little broken pieces behind the foam. I see it all the time here.

Definitely, but no need for alarm. I’ve seen some other inspection reports where the inspector makes it sound like you’re going to get mesothelioma from the siding, which is damned near impossible unless you’re breaking it and cutting it and directly breathing in the fibers. And even then, you would probably need repeated exposure.

The seller is supposed to indicated the presence of asbestos, anywhere in the house, on the disclosure form. I also ask to see that form before or at least during the inspection to see if they are up front about listing that or other major defects.

Didn’t I say that?

Yes I was agreeing with you.