Potencial earnings

Originally Posted By: David Devore
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I Looking to enter the Home inspection industry,

I would like to get an idea on what kind of money I should expect after I complete a training course.

I am in my early 50s and look very professional.

Will it be a real hard road ?

Should I get involved with a franchise ?

Should I become an affiliate of an inspection company?

Originally Posted By: jkormos

David Devore wrote:
I Looking to enter the Home inspection industry,
I would like to get an idea on what kind of money I should expect after I complete a training course.
I am in my early 50s and look very professional.
Will it be a real hard road ?
Should I get involved with a franchise ?
Should I become an affiliate of an inspection company?

Well,

As far as $$, how much do you want to spend, But I would recommend about 10 to 20K in working capital if you go on your own, and that is rather conservative. especially if you are looking at a franchise.
Costs involve, Tools, Insurance, Fees,Education, Promotional items, advertising, vehicle expenses, software, hardware, bla bla bla.

Yes, it is not easy, you are always looking for new business
Franchise, your call, depends what the scene looks like in your area, there are many many franchises, do your home work, I looked at quite a few, and what it comes down to in the end is how well can you sell yourself.
Not sure of your last question.

My advise to you would be to talk to some inspectors, like here, and do your home work, and educate yourself as much as possible, and don't jump into anything. think things out and don't be emotional.

Good Luck ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)
Joe

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Don’t enter the business unless you have 18 months of your present income in the bank to use while business takes off.

Your income will depend upon yourself, and your market. What is the average price of a home inspection in your area? How many home inspectors are in your area? How active is the real estate market in your area? What is your background? What are you going to do differently than your competition to get buyers use you and agents to recommend your service? Will you get the training you need to offer ancillary services such as radon testing or WDO/WDI inspections. You will make exactly $0 after your training course if you don't have a careful and accurate plan of action.

The last statistics I read stated that the average home inspector does an average of 324 inspections per year after 3 years in business. Multiplying that times the average inspection fee, less operating expenses should give you some idea of the revenue.

This is not an easy business to start and it takes different qualities to be successful. Attention to detail, perseverance, inquisitiveness, thick skin, knowledge of all parts of the home, and excellent communication skills, including both speaking and writing are just some of what you'll need.

Good luck!