pre-listing inspection

Originally Posted By: chorne
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi all,

I have started marketing the pre-listing Inspection.
Realtors seem to be interested in the idea, but I have
a question and would like your thoughts

What if I perform a pre-listing Inspection and the
property doesn't sell for say 4-6 months, how long
should the report be good for?

Carla

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Carla

I have two thoughts on this topic, firstly why would you wish to say that a report which is just a snapshot of a property at one day in time should have any “shelf life” at all to say that it is good for 30 or 90 days just increases your potential liabilities. My second thought addresses the problms ith the first thought, if you are going to offer pre-listing inspections you may wish to check out home warranties so you can “guarrantee” th home for a specified period of time.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Carla,

That is a good question and I'm glad you asked it as I have one of those this morning and have never given much thought to it. Here's what I think:

I think we can all agree that the report is on the condition of the property at the time of the inspection. I think we can also agree that conditions can change within a day, week or month.

Six months down the road your report may or may not be an accurate representation of the current condition of that property. However, it does (IMO), demonstrate the sellers sincerity with regards to trying to make a full disclosure to potential sellers.

The report is accurate for the day of the inspection. Anyone reading it can make their own assumptions relative to any time lapse, sellers upkeep of the property, and any other variables that might come into play between the time the inspection was done and the time they consider the property.

Just a new guys opinion. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Thanks for such a quick response!

Our agreement states that we are only liable for up to
one year from the date of the Inspection.
Maybe there should be a different agreement for a
pre-listing Inspection.

Nick what is your thought on this subject?

Carla

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

You need a different inspection agreement for the pre-listing side of the house.

It is good for the conditions of the property found at the time of the inspection, only, and has no shelf life. If you are marketing this idea as a way for homeowners to somehow enhance the marketability of their homes, be careful.

I've gottn lots of resistance from sellers agents and sellers attorneys from this idea. You see, once a defect is revealed, all parties involved in the transaction are obligated to disclose those defects. There's no plausable deniability any longer. They hired an inspector for a professional opinion, and paid for that opinion. You discover a number of defects and inform them and the sellers agent finds out. Those defects follow the house until they are repaired.

Russel Kirk may be able to shed some additional light on the matter, as there is apparently some case law regarding the inspector's liability on the matter.

My 2 cents. At a minimum, you need to add some additional layers of protection within the inspection agreement.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Hi All,

Well I have done 2 listing Inspections since my last
post in this thread and it seems to be taking off.
The Realtors like the idea, we had the transaction closed
on both within 2 weeks of the listing.
Has anyone else tried this avenue?

PS Nick are we going to have a new email for
agents soon? I have a ton of Realtors who really
look forward to them!

Thanks,
Carla

Originally Posted By: jpope

I’ve done a few pre-listing inspections. I make sure the client is aware that the report is NOT transferrable by any means. In other words, a buyer cannot use this report to satisfy the inspection clause in their purchase agreement.

Typically this is done for a seller looking to get the highest possible dollar for their property. The report will usually indicate minor problems that can be repaired for pennies while adding dollars to the listing price.

Also, I give the client another marketing tool by offering a "re-inspection" within six months of the original inspection for half price. The seller can offer this to a potential buyer as a way to save them a couple hundred dollars in out of pocket expenses.

I have had this work on occasion and even inspected one home THREE times.

I use the same inspection agreement for pre-listings as I do for pre-purchase as I perform the same services for each.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738