Promise Me!!

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

That you will check these for possible overloads, 10-4? Come back please I am looking for a reply from you, all members and guests please reply!!

![](upload://vLpbD4pR6rAUSZJWg0QoN3NIeGy.jpeg)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Joe,

scarey picture, while I have not had one go up in flames, I did a few years ago have a lazer printer hooked into a surge protector that started to arc at the wall outlet when I switched on the lazer printer, as the start up on a lazer printer has a big load.

Joe it would be worth explaining to members how to check the loads that are placed on a surge protector, and the outlet that it is connected to, could you do that ??

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

gbeaumont wrote:
Hi Joe,
Joe it would be worth explaining to members how to check the loads that are placed on a surge protector, and the outlet that it is connected to, could you do that ??

Regards

Gerry

I wouldn't have a clue how many amps the items plugged into my surge protector are pulling. ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Sure:

I found this listing information in my UL Directory "White Book" on page 124-125. We should refer to it as a "Relocatable Power Tap". Please read this first.

![](upload://49KHhPHbiAVzVYfDg2EPfjQJFlK.jpeg)

The receptacle in the wall with the two "duplex" outlets, is probably only rated for 15 amps, and is not designed to carry more than 12 amps (80%) on a 15 amp branch circuit, so when the equipment that is plugged into the "power tap" is rated beyond that figure the wall receptacle starts to heat up, and may begin to deteriorate and weaken the contacts.

That's one of the reasons I always suggest that new receptacles (specification grade) be used as replacements to give more strength to that first connection.

The best advice would be to run some individual 20 ampere branch circuits.

The two receptacle outlets in a duplex are not enough for everything we need to play with our toys!

PS: I am on the Amtrak now at Newark station so I have a receptacle next
to me so I can play and get some work done before I get into Baltimore!

--

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Can’t make dinner tonight Joe, But look forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Pardon my naivete but how does this fit into a limited visual inspection? Most inspections are for the buyer. The picture shows what would be considered portable appliances that are owned by the occupant of the house and will be removed when they vacate the premises. As an HI, I only inspect permanent appliances, ie… dishwasher, range, oven, etc… items that are part of the sale of the property. If I start making recommendations on how these items are plugged in, I’m opening myself up for a lot of trouble. What about the frayed cord on the lamp I didn’t see, or the plug on the surge protector that had the ground prong pulled out… it’s and endless list. Even if it was a prelisting inspection or a warranty inspection where I was hired by the occupant of the house I probably would not go beyond a verbal warning. I wouldn’t touch determining the load on a surge protector with a ten foot pole.

Just MHO.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: lwilliams

Doesn’t every computer have that many plugs into a surge protector? Other than the flames that setup is common with most computer users. icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted By: hgordon

doing a comprehensive electrical inspection, but a visual inspection of the entire house.

That being said I do believe that we should note OBVIOUS safety concerns.

In the case where we are doing PRE-LISTING or PRE-SALE inspections, this is a MUST CALLOUT.

![icon_idea.gif](upload://6VKizmOm2U7YYmfXNtFW4XTwFVy.gif) All that being said, I still thank you Joe for pointing all this out...maybe we should all unplug our PC's right now

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

icon_smile.gif

When I posted the picture above the thought that came to my mind was a typical worn out old and broken 20 year old .39 cent receptacle often encountered in the area where equipment of the type shown is used.

I was not asking anyone to do anything different, especially when it would be a problem that would come back and haunt you!

I did not want to read about a fire in a home that was caused by a situation like the one above.

Questions: Is it acceptable the tell an owner that the receptacle(s) tension is inadequate, and should be replaced?

Doesn't NFPA 73 include something related to this?

--

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Quote:
Questions: Is it acceptable the tell an owner that the receptacle(s) tension is inadequate, and should be replaced?

Yes, and I do. But, I only test accessible outlets and I do not unplug an appliance to test the outlet it is plugged into (except for GFCI). If the house is vacant, I test every one of those suckers. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com