Proper Downspout Termination?

Originally Posted By: jmichalski
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Do methods for dealing with downspout terminations vary from locality to locality, or is there a standard code?

I ask because I just inspected a home today where the downspouts end in black corrugated piping (not unusual) that goes underground towards the street - presumably to a point where it enters the street and storm drains. But I couldn't find a termination point, and I am wondering if there is some kind of homemade system that is connecting it to the waste drain...(which I assume is wrong, but I am trying to find someplace to document that). It occurred to me that some localities may not allow it be run into the street either, or perhaps that is also a violation of some code or standard.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

That is what we call up here drain tile. The black corrugated pipe has perforations that allow the water to drain out into the ground below…beauty is that is drains along it’s entire length, thus not soaking any one particular area.

Usually gravel is placed under the tile a couple of feet or so to help with drainage.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

That makes sense, thanks Kevin.

I have seen the pipe used frequently with gravel in french drain applications, but the ones I am familiar with end in "well" or resivoir area filled with gravella nd river rock. This doesn't seem to have that
(at least it's not that obvious as a low-lying collection of river rock) and I wonder if that is acceptable in all areas.

Any suggestions on where to check that? Local code office?

Originally Posted By: cmccann

I see a lot of those here that terminate in the yard somewhere. Usually you can find a drain. Some are even capped that raise with water pressure and drain into the yard. I know that’s what I installed in my yard. Works great. Sometimes the grates are covered with grass, so you really have to look hard sometimes. If you did and are that worried about. Report “Unable to determine termination of gutter drain system check with seller for locations”. icon_lol.gif

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

For new construction in Mahoning County, Ohio you need to buy a $15 downspout permit. The downspout must enter an underground “system” which terminates in a storm sewer, street, lake, pond, creek, or stream.

I don't believe the $15 gets you an inspection though. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
Jim Mosier

Originally Posted By: Laura Line

Joseph,

Downspouts that are directed underground are not the best way. Reasons, you never know when the pipes clog or crack underground usually until you start getting water coming through into the basement. Here in the Baltimore area, there are alot of homes which still have the downspouts directed underground, and the new homes are putting them underground as well. The best way to recommend is to get the tubes that people are describing here and stick them right on the end on top of the lawn. Not a pretty sight, but I always tell people, when they have company, remove them but to be sure they install them back on when they leave.

Thanks for the input! I made mention of a potential accumulation of underground water and hydrostatic pressure on the foundation walls, but without knowing where they terminate I couldn’t do much more.

I also hate seeing those ugly black drains on the lawns in PA, but - like you said - better that than water in the basement I guess...

Originally Posted By: Laura Line

Joseph

I know of a builder in the Gettysburg area who built homes and is having such a time with the "PA EPA" inspectors who requested 4 months after he had permits etc....to build that he put in downspouts and seepage pits. He has refused for the reason that as stated, they clog up and back up eventually into basements and in 10 years he doesn't want the owners calling him due to the crumbling foundations.

If you are in the PA area, you may want to question where the seepage pits are, this will help determine where the outlet is, it may not be on the property you are inspecting (a few houses can be sharing one pit) but be sure to write it up to let the buyer know and WHO (county, city, resident?) is in charge of cleaning the pits out, especially now with all of the falling leaves, you know that no one has cleaned them out, so they will be cloggin up soon. Think about what is put underground, either PVC or the corragated tubing as people are speaking of, all of it cracks, even the clay pipes used years ago.

Laura