Proposed Resolution to the Rowan/CMI Debacle

I think a signed affidavit and random auditing is plenty considering we can’t tell if they are telling the truth about anything that really matters anyway: like if they actually paid attention in those courses, or if they actually did good fee-paid inspections, or if they actually will abide by the SOP like they say they will, or if they actually will abide by the COE like they say they will, or if they will actually never commit a felony like they never have so far.

CMI is an indicator of education and experience, and that’s about all it can ever hope to be. It doesn’t mean that every CMI actually goes out and does everything right everytime. This is true for all professional designations in every industry.

When you take into consideration the variances of requirements in the states that have licensing laws, it is really difficult to get too much more definitive than what Nick has described and implemented.

A CMI in Texas has a state mandated SOP and state required/certified classes. How can he, legally, adopt some other standard?

It just bothers me that someone who has been in the biz for a year or less is claiming to be CMI. That is committing a crime in my opinion.

Nicks mind deals with reality. In a perfect world nobody would tell
lies and everything would be easily verified. But in the real world
you discover the hard facts Nick has listed.

No matter how many changes were made in the Texas home
inspector laws… previous agreements were honored. This
is called justice in America. It’s called righteousness in the
scriptures.

Texas wanted to verify my previous construction experience…
so what did they ask for? They ask for notarized statements
from 3 business people. That’s it… Now, I could have lied,
but Texas considered all the possible options and realized
that this was a “reasonable” verification in the “real world”.

Texas knew that in order to take it to the next level they
would have to hire private detectives to stake out my
home and document my activities and do eye witness
background checks. Texas realized I was applying to be
an home inspector and not the Governor. There are real
world limitations on everything, considering what you are
seeking to do.

BTW… Nick, thanks for the breath of fresh air. Good to
hear from you again.

Wendy, you don’t have to be in biz at all to be a CMI. We think it unlikely, but technically possible.

Anyway, I don’t think it is right for, after many inspectors worked hard for many years making many posts in thoughtful discussion to determine meaningful yet attainable pre-application requirements to bring them up instead of post-application requirements.

If you have energy, work on additional post application requirements:

• I still think we need a simple dress code.
    *]I still think we need some language that requires a CMI to disclose if he/she is not going to do the inspection him/herself (and is sending an employee instead). If the consumer chooses a CMI and chooses to pay extra for a CMI, the consumer should actually get the CMI.

Good post, John.

Your sensable reasoning regarding reasonable verification is more universal than what Rowan was proposing. He and his FABI/ASHI buddies, IMO, had an agenda of creating a pinnacle…and then setting safeguards around it…to keep people out. This is exactly the same approach they took in their state’s licensing bill. To them, credibility exists only from the outside looking in…it is not something that can exist outside of their own elite group.

They failed at their attempt to get that placed into Florida law, just like they did (apparently) in this program, as well.

Just as lawyers are required to do so many hours of “pro bono” work per year, what if a CMI were also required to spend so many hours per year assisting other home inspectors in some manner…by phone, email, a ride-along, etc…?

This is something I’ve been working on. I’ve been asking and finding inspectors to mentor new inspectors. It’s definitely a necessity.

Nick what are your view’s on the job Micheal is doing with CMI. Do you feel he has lied or mislead you in any way.
I also received your e mail about FAPHI it will be interesting to see what you have in store for that.

I do not care how many hours you want me to do I will not cut back regardless what they say .
If you take my hours of helping others this year I am more then likely good for the rest of my life .
Why must you try and make things so complicated none stop .
If it ain’t broke why try to fix it .
I do not know when you sleep but it must be less then I do and I need about 4 .5 hours a night always have up to now.
Jim you need a Green house great relaxing and gives you lots of things to do and forget the rest of the world . Love mine try it you might like it .

Cookie

Roy,

I think you need to stop smoking those tall, skinny plants that you are growing in that greenhouse. This is not 1968 anymore…:roll:

Gee I guess I am out of step too bad but I am still happy sorry do not smoke . Tried it 55 years ago still manage to stay away… Hope to put in fish pond next year.

Cookie

James,

I think all your post should qualify you as a Master Post Man… smile.

Where is Iron Mike?

Hey, after all of this…
We could write a book called the war between Iron Mike,
Hoopy and the Buffalo Butt Monster… it would sell a million.

Carl, by next week we should have a pretty nice new FAPHI site up. Doug, Harold and I have been working on it. I’ll devoting a lot of time to FAPHI in 2007.

I like the idea of having CMIs do and/or offer some ride-a-longs. Maybe we can consider adding it as an additional CMI requirement.

I think Michael is doing a fine job so far. We’re up to 180 CMIs already and some real heavy weights are coming on board soon. And I really love the CMI COE which is the undisputed king of all COEs.

An idea proposed by Michael in his attempt to create a definition of CMI.

However, since your proposal has no concrete arbitrary numbers assocaited with it, expect it to be derided as flowery and useless.

Why - would you, James, and Joe F each buy 333,333?

That sounds great Nick. I am putting together a list and want to have it where I have a nationwide map, similar to the NACHI map,and have it synchronized with another map. One map would have Mentors, and the other one would have New Inspectors and the two maps could be used for cross-referencing where we have the need, and where the need is filled.

I’ve been talking to Catherine about several things, and I have a few other “helpers” working on things. Some very bright talent. We’ve been hoping you’d be interested in getting on board and perhaps pulling together a face to face meeting with everyone involved.

Anyone who wants to sign up with the program can email me at inspector_wendy@yahoo.com and we will be reimbursing anyone who mentors between $25-$50 per student on the ride-a-long.

Wendy,

When you have a mentor in Phoenix let me know, I want to pay them the 50 bucks myself, they will probably need the extra cash…:smiley:

Hi Nick
If you have the new CMIs email me i will put there links on my web sites. That will give them over 15 more links for site recognition.

Why don’t you be one of the mentors in Phoenix? We have several in different areas of the country already. :smiley: