public adjusters

Originally Posted By: greg hennigan
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I called a add in the local paper for a home inspector(no experience needed , will train) so i thought i would see what it was all about. They are public adjusters, that seem to go to bat for you (the home owner)against insurance companies to get things fixed that are covered on the home owners insurance policy. It seemed like a scam to me. Has anyone else every heard of this kind of thing before? Just wondering.

Originally Posted By: Gary Van Florcke

Hey Greg I have in the past used a few adjusters for my remediation company,but only as a last resort dealing with the insurance companies.The problem comes in when the adjuster takes his 30% commision and then the homeowner only wants to pay me 70% for what I originally quoted,the adjuster alway tells the client “not to worry because I always get at least 30% more from the insurance company”.Most insurance companies that I deal with never over pay and certainly not by 30%.So I have to come down 30% which I cant or the homeowner has to come up with 30% which he wont, so the homeowner usually put 70% in his pocket and still has the problem.The guess the why he’s looking for inexperienced inspectors.

Originally Posted By: sspradling

Not to mention the fact that when a P.A. is involved, everything slows down- they inspect, you inspect, they put together an estimate, you put together and estimate, each and every item on the estimate is negotiated, and the whole thing becomes phone tag, lost faxes, the insurance company will clam up to the homeowner, as they begin an adversarial relationship, and when it’s all over, the only happy people are the Public Adjusters. I’ve dealt with a bunch of 'em over the years.

Stu

Originally Posted By: tpszczolkowski

I saw the same ad in Harrisburg PA. Answered the ad and went to a meeting. Now I’m working on going for my state test, can’t hurt. The company is in Phila PA. I’m not sure what will come of it but I’m interested if anyone has more info on Public Adjusting of a company in Phila called Metro.

Originally Posted By: dplummer

In Canada, Public Adjusters are like ambulance chasers. Go after the big claims to represent the insured against the insurance co. They charge a hefty fee for their service & try to get their sub trades to over inflate the charges. I guess to try & justify their fee. Be careful!! Get your fee up front. You may end up waiting. Doug