Q & A in Texas

Originally Posted By: Dawn
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am very new to the industry and the organizations. I have been checking into all the state and national org. that I can find, but am unsure as to which would be the best to join. Now, I know ya’ll are going to jump right in and say NACHI but can you tell me why you chose this particular group? I know there are few inspectors in my area and the ones here are NOT willing to be of any help…guess that’s par for course…

Thanks for the help
Dawn

Originally Posted By: tallen

Dawn,

As with everything in life you must find what fits you and what you want to do.

Go to the benefits section and take a look.

I chose to join NACHI cuz after watching a few different boards and talking to people in my area (95% ASHI by the way) I decided that I liked the way everyone helps each other on this board without passing judgment on you or your qualifications.I think the biggest kicker was the benefits though. The internet presence has been good to me.

ASHI does have a lot to offer if you are willing to pay the price and be told what to do.

I am sure more folks will offer there opinions.

P.S this board is not moderated ( so to speak) so, everyone is free to speak there minds, and that is how it should be. IMHO

Good luck whatever you decide.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: tallen

I found another good reason to join.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=4588

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Thanks for the info…I’m definately looking into joining NACHI. I can hnestly say they have the most user friendly site I’ve seen yet.

Dawn

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

Dawn, what part of Texas are you in?

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Dawn:

Welcome. I think almost all associations with few exceptions offer something. Even non-inspection associations are worth looking into like perhaps your local board of REALTORs or Chamber of Commerce. Yes, even ASHI is a good association (I was a member for years). I like SPREI too (I'm a life member).

The only rip-off group that I know of is NAHI. You get nothing or almost nothing for your membership dues. No marketing, no benefits. This is why they have almost no renewal rate to speak of. But other than NAHI, I think all associations offer something worth looking into.

Nick

in the sense that NAHI intentionally tries to rip you off. I meant that NAHI’s membership benefit list isn’t worth 89 cents. Nothing intentional on their part… I just think they never had to offer anything for years as they fed off of ASHI’s dead bodies (ASHI members who couldn’t take ASHI any longer). When you get a portion of your membership like that… you grow weak and take your members for granted.

NACHI changed all that . I think we showed the industry that we can offer anyone (serious about the inspection business) many times more (in value) than we ask in dues. NACHI wants to earn its membership... and does. NAHI on the other hand, has been around for a while and they are no different than when they started out... maybe worse.

Again though, I didn't mean to insinuate something evil or intentional on their part. NAHI is good people...very good people...in a do-nothing, provide-members-nothing association.

Nick

I have to say that this isn’t the first time I’ve heard about NAHI and their sparkling reputation as a deadhead association. I appriciate the feedback that I’ve recieved here. I’m not quite sure I want what ASHI has to offer, I’m still up in the air about that even with their SOP’s being the thing to follow here.

As for my location, I"m in Alvin, Texas…small town between Houston and Galveston. I LOVE Rockport though, great fishin’ there! Anyways, I would like to know more about this organization, what chapters are here, that sort of thing…if ya’ll could help me get some info I would greatly appriciate it!!

Thanks,
Dawn

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Dawn -

I'm curious. Texas has always had their own SOP and its never been ASHI's. Has something changed in the past 18 months (ex-Texan).

Yes, Texas has their own SOP’s, but it seems to me that ASHI SOP’s are the thing to follow here…or at least where I am. Almost everyone I’ve talked to or advertizment I’ve seen in my area praises using ASHI. Not that it’s a bad thing…

Dawn

The value of ASHI membership is higher in unlicensed states and diminished greatly anywhere licensing exists… especially where licensing has existed for some time like in Texas.

Once licensing goes through, the licensed list becomes "the list" and therefore diminishes all other lists... such as any particular organization's list.

Once a state goes through licensing... the association wars end. Licensed inspectors then prepare for the other "big hurdle"... marketing.

Nick

PS. Note: NACHI displays TREC# (Texas home inspection license #) as a suffix to our Texas members. See http://www.nachi.org/memberlist.htm

Originally Posted By: dbowers

- You’re in a licensure state, therefore the Texas Standards are what you FOR SURE need to follow. You can always go beyond the Standards. if anything in ASHI’s Standards ever conflicts with the Texas Standards - follow the Texas Standards or you’ll be in real deep doo-doo with TREC.

Dan Bowers, CRI
(ASHI #1038)

I totally agree with you on the standards…as a matter of fact, I always follow Texas standards. I will not get my license taken away or be sued because of a conflict between the two. The school that I went to taught to ASHI standards and told the students to follow Texas standards. Very confusing for most.

Originally Posted By: Chris Butler

Dawn,

check with TAREI also as they are the State organization for Texas. Ask for Andrea and she will help you out.

Sincerely,

Chris Butler

(former) Director of Membership @ FREA

Thanks Chris, I will. I was checking with another inspector I know down here (finally found a nice one!! ) and he said they are great. I appreciate the info!

Dawn

Originally Posted By: pgudek

Dawn, We do have a Houston Chapter of Nachi. I am planning our next meeting for early August. We will be having a Foundation engineer speak as well as others. I must admit I have been a bit negligent in my duties recently as I have been very busy. I do inspections frequently in the Alvin area. I find that since most jobs in that area are rural, many realtors like an inspector that can also do well and septic. Feel free to contact me if I can assist you in any way.