Why I joined NACHI (repost for non-members)

Originally Posted By: apfaff
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Why I joined NACHI

Since November of 2004 I have been reading thousands of posts on this forum. I decided to go ahead and start my inspection business because of the resources offered by the regular forum posters. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and gives so many broad opinions as well as definitive facts, and technical knowledge. It was because of this valuable resource and the entrance requirements that I joined NACHI.

My reason for posting this letter is to remind everyone that debate is healthy, and it is understandable that emotions are elevated when someone feels passionate about their position, but I am turned off at the personal attacks. I haven?t posted a lot in the past, despite spending hours a day reading posts, because the threads can get nasty. I often wondered ?why all the animosity toward each other? and ?where did this argument come from?? If the threads are kept to technical questions it appears that everyone behaves. When the threads begin to question NACHI or its policies (among other things) then people begin to attack and or defend at will. I don?t feel it is acceptable for anyone to make personal attacks on someone?s character because they have a different opinion. I am offended by some of the slanderous attacks on people?s race, gender, or origins etc.

Healthy debate consists of opinions supported by fact or theory not by name calling. If one wants to champion their cause and show their intelligence they should stick to debate of the topic at hand. Attacking ones character only shows your lack of knowledge of the topic and inability to make a valid argument. This is true for both sides of the argument.

NACHI is rapidly becoming the leader in home inspector affiliations. I believe it is due firstly to the requirement for membership. This is of course a double edged sword. If it too easy it lacks credibility it deserves. If it is too difficult then membership decreases and support is lost. The NACHI strength in numbers has many advantages. ASHI and others give the impression of exclusivity and spend more time supporting media than their members. NACHI has the distinct advantage by giving support to its members and this forum and other member benefits allow newbie?s, like myself, access to a wealth of knowledge and resources. I think that NACHI should promote itself as an affiliation of educators. If new members and the public are pointed to our support structure and how NACHI members strive to float all boats and promote professionalism, and education, it would bolster NACHI?s reputation. Proctoring NACHI?s entrance exam would be an inconvenience but would give the membership the credibility it lacks. I agree that setting a number of paid inspections is not the benchmark of a good inspector. If I wanted to work in sheer volumes I could lower my professional standards to and do drive-by inspections and become a member of any group. NACHI members are better than this, let?s work together to promote NACHI by making sure that every member who uses the NACHI logo is worthy of it. Educate all, and bring members closer by helping regardless of any differences of opinion.

If a member or non-member decides to criticize our organization or its policies or leaders they are entitled. Let?s reply with professionalism in mind. I think that this is a valid way of refining NACHI. Let?s brainstorm on how we can make this a better organization for all and keep the debate to improving our organization not dividing it. Even though some of us don?t post replies doesn?t mean we weren?t offended or turned off by some of the threads.

Let?s all work together to make this a public and welcoming forum. It is a valuable resource and if kept friendly and inviting it would become an asset for all. There are a lot of helpful and passionate people here lets not overshadow this with negativism and slander.

Thank you all for helping me become a professional home inspector.

--
Aaron Pfaff
http://www.dedicatedhomeservices.com/
http://www.independentinspectors.org/wisconsin.html

Originally Posted By: Guest

Wise words from an honorable man.

It says a lot that this thread got hijacked in the "Members Mostly" section, but is simply left to stand on it's own merit here.

Aaron, you have a lot to offer our field.

Jim Morrison
Princeton, MA

Originally Posted By: apfaff

apfaff wrote:
Before anyone thinks that this was directed at any particular topic or person, it was not. I wouldn?t judge anyone for what is said on the forum. I don?t make it a practice to condemn a person for a specific belief that they hold. None of us could make the leap to determine the quality of ones character outside of what they are discussing. I'm sure that we all are good members of society and contribute to the betterment of the lives of our families and society in general. We all have many attributes and redeeming qualities outside of our chosen profession.

apfaff wrote:
Well, I have been waiting to let this thread to cool off to post a ?thank you?, but that doesn?t seem to be happening. So here goes.

Thank you all for your kind words. I only meant shed a little light on how some may be dissuaded from participating when the general discourse become so heated. I appreciate your welcoming me. I feel I have been a member since I have been lurking around for awhile now. This apparently is my grand introduction by way of striking a chord in some. Not really my intent.
I am not running for office. I think that we have many laudable inspectors participating in this forum and I thank you all. I would like to see more of the camaraderie, that turned me onto this resource and profession, dominate the threads.
I look forward to hearing more comments on the original post. I think we're drifting.

apfaff wrote:
Wow. I guess I failed to mention anything about staying on topic. Anyone else have anything to say about my original post. It is back a few pages and you will have to filter through some bickering about something most of aren?t actually concerned with. I guess Russel Ray was right the ?grand illusion? is that people only hear what they want, and interpret it how they wish, as long as it supports their argument. I just wanted to hear if others felt similarly, I never intended this to be a social experiment and example of what I was originally talking about. Back to lurking.

apfaff wrote:
66 replies so far and only 14 or so have anything to do with my original post.

Glad to hear that not all fell upon deaf ears.

--
Aaron Pfaff
http://www.dedicatedhomeservices.com/
http://www.independentinspectors.org/wisconsin.html

Originally Posted By: Guest

Aaron,

The field of home inspections is a unique and honorable one. It was designed for the learned to empower homebuyers with the information they need to make important and difficult decisions.

Just keep doing the next right thing and you will find yourself surrounded by like minds,

Jim Morrison
Princeton, MA

Originally Posted By: jstewart1

Aaron,

Good post, but it isnt anything that hasn't been said before.

If youre waiting for some big change.....good luck!

Other than that, just take what you can and ignore what you don't want.

ataboy

Jerry Stewart ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)