Q on How to Perform Residential Electrical Inspections Course

I am studying for the CPI and came across this statement in Electrical: “Never install a switch receptacle fully inside of a room where both the top and bottom of the duplex is controlled by a switch”. Can anyone explain what was meant by this? Thanks in advance.

Think of a bedside electrical receptacle where a lamp is plugged in. There is a wall switch that controls the lamp. Only one of the plugins on the receptacle can be wired to that switch that controls the lamp. Both plugins cannot be wired or controlled by the switch.

Btw- Welcome and good luck with your studies.

There is a NEC requirement to have no portion along a wall that is more than 6’ from a receptacle (the 6’/12’ rule). A switch controlled duplex receptacle (both top and bottom receptacles) would not count as one of the required receptacles 6’/12’ receptacles so often only 1/2 is switched. The thing that you quoted “Never install a switch receptacle fully inside of a room where both the top and bottom of the duplex is controlled by a switch” is not technically correct because you can switch both halves of a duplex receptacle, it’s just that in doing so it does not count towards the 6’ maximum spacing rule. Compliance can be achieved in other ways like have another unswitched receptacle right next to the fully switched duplex.

Makes sense. THANK YOU!!

Thanks!! :grinning:

Robert has correctly explained another error in the training course.

1 Like

I’m not sure I see it as an error. The question seems to indicate that a duplex receptacle should not be wired to allow both to operate from a single wall switch. Is this true?

Robert did point out that the duplex can be wired to operate from separate switches, which wasn’t the question presented from the OP.

Tom G, there is no code prohibition against it. As Robert explained it just cannot be used to satisfy the 6/12 spacing. Other receptacles would be needed if the whole duplex was switched.

The question said Never. There could be legitimate times when this is desirable.

I was just pointing out that you are allowed by the NEC to switch both the top and bottom of a duplex receptacle and it could be from a single wall switch. Doing so may have other consequences when applying the 6’/12’ receptacle wall spacing rules because a switched duplex cannot be counted as one of the required receptacles.

1 Like