QOD for 1/18/20007

NEC 110.22 was accepted into the 1965 NEC as a general rule
requiring each branch circuit to be marked at the point where it
originates to indicate its purpose. In the **?? **Code, this requirement
was moved to 408.4, making the requirement for circuit identification
more specific to panelboards and switchboards.

In which NEC Code was 408.4 created?

Hint…

It was still in 384.13 in '99 :mrgreen:

beyond the scope of a home inspector, and really obscure in any other realm.

Why don’t you posty about really hard baseball trivia?

Much more interesting and relevent. :mrgreen:

John,

Are we going to have to wait 18,000 years for the answer?

lol…ah…I know…:slight_smile:

Whats the matter Will…trivia is good…lol

Interesting response…

I always considedered the proper labeling of a panel as both a courtesy and safety issue. I also feel that home inspectors should have at least a general understanding or basic knowledge of systems they are looking at.

Tell me Will – If an addition is added to a 1971 stick built home with original equipment (electrical) in the year 2006, would the electrician only have been required to label the new circuits or would it be considered a remodel of the panel box and all existing circuits would need to be labeled?

I believe this to be a relevant question. Maybe slightly advanced. but great for general knowledge and understanding.

John

What was the electrician contracted to do? What does the local electrical inspector want?

I have been told that new work must be to current code and that the whole building would have to be brought up to current code if rework is to be over 50%

That would be my guide lines for labeling

Help Paul

rlb

Actually in MY area and I can’t speak for everywhere…If the house was built during or before 1970 they will consider ANYTHING an improvement and not require us to bring it all up to current code.

IN other words…if the room as (2) receptacles and we want to add one on a 3rd wall…they wont jump on us and say…well NOW since you are adding that receptacle you have to meet the 6’ and 12’ rules…

I have been told by MANY AHJ’s…that they are happy when ANYTHING us uipdated…

Most of the time if we are talking adding some receptacles and so on and nothing overly major they local AHJ’s will be a bit more leaning…but if you redo rooms and so on…he/she will want the whole room redone…not patchword for the most part.

Now if the system is REAL old…and lets say a 2 wire system with no ground…you can’t go adding onto it with a romex with an EGC…and expect them to allow it…so in that case they would say…sorry…have to run new if you wish to try that.

IN the end…kinda depends on HOW much the local AHJ will require per their local building official. The head guy may allow minimums…but I am not aware of any percentage rule…atleast I am not aware of it…could be…

AS a electrician I just come in and do what the client wants…he worries about that…if he calls me BACK to add more…well I get my answer…lol

Oh…sorry…the Labeling…in MY area the NEW work added must be labeled…as it will get inspected to THIS time frame but we do not label OLDER work…

Ironically enough I have a 1965 NEC and it does not refer to labeling in the 384 Switchboards and Panelboards section…but I just got the thing…

Basically if we are adding some plugs and such in a house…I label OUR work…that will be inspected but I dont label the whole panel if their are some missing…I am not being paid to do so and the AHJ usually does not demand it.

SHOULD it be labeled…YEP…and will gladly do it IF they pay me to do it…

TODAY…NEC 408.4 is very clear…as is Section 110.22 also

I label all the circuits if I’m doing a panel change or service upgrade, as this seems to be required.

I label circuits that I happen across while I’m working. That is to say, if I need to kill the living room to work on a receptacle, and I find the breaker or fuse to the living room, I’ll go ahead a label it since I found it. Not expressly required, but a good idea. I also label “easy” circuits that aren’t labeled, like the range, dryer, water heater, etc., if I run across them in anyone’s panel. This isn’t required either, but I do it anyhow, normally.

When I’m adding circuits, I always label the new stuff, as this seems to be required. If I’m doing a great deal of work in one home, I’ll go ahead and take the 10 minutes that it takes two people to properly label a panel, for my own sake. This doesn’t seem to be expressly required either, but a good idea also.

answer is 2002.

Yep…always a noble thing to do and I also do this…However it is importan t to note that as you stated…in the older circuits it is LIKED but not expressly required on older circuits. NOW if you upgrade the whole panel then ALL circuits will need to be identified and labeled…not if adding a few circuits to an existing panel…

After you read Mr. Deckers comment above, also notice that he is HELPING the Educational Committee to allow them to HELP their respective members.

I think i’d rather have John or Paul HELPING…

Not a slash, just a thought.