QOD for 5/20/04 (Roof and Attic)

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Due to circumstances beyond my control (Okay I was out on an inspection) I am just now getting a QOD up for today.

We’re going to do today’s a little different though, since it is so late. List all the discrepancies you see.

![](upload://mMqRE2PGYojAJjMTLXlPfH3Pgjv.jpeg)

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Originally Posted By: Peter Foxe Smothers

Chimney does not appear to be straight, maybe due to poor roof support or brick deterioration. The mortar seems to be deteriorating towards the top that may indicate a moisture problem. Other signs also point to a moisture problem. The brick looks to be spalling towards the top. There looks to be efforescence on the top bricks also from the moisture problem. The deck boards show signs of moisture damage around the chimney. A look on the roof and you would most likely find a bad flashing around the chimney which let to these localized moisture problems.

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Terrible picture,

Are there any collar ties?

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Not going to say anything about the nailers for the cedar shake shingles, or the spacing on the rafters, or the additional weight of the shingles and plywood on the structure that was meant for those light shakers?

How about if we teach our inspectors to take better pictures! ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif) Then we can teach them how to inspect a house.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: roconnor

How about throwing in inadequate clearance between the chimney and combustible materials too.

Collar ties wouldn't be needed if there is a tension tie connecting the bottom of the rafters (straps or ceiling joists).

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong