QOD for 6/1/04 (Electrical)

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

We are going to do something a little different for today’s QOD. I realize that the obvious write up on this panel would be for a licensed electrician to evaluate & repair as necessary. HOWEVER, I would like to hear what the inspectors find based on the pictures that you see.

Go ahead and post all of the things that you wish today. This will serve for a report writing/electrical training.

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: jpope

I’ll take the easy one;

Missing cover plate on the light switch ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: cmacgillivray

Looks like a couple double taps on breakers made for just one. icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Question for you guys…are white wires allowed to be used as “Hot” wires? If they are, do they need to be taped?

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Peter Foxe Smothers

I will field another few easy ones. No main disconnect. Please don’t tell me the light switch is wired for that purpose. There also appears to be some silver duct tape wrapped around the wire directly above the two bus bars. That could make for a “shocking” find. Where the wires come in to the top of the box there does not appear to be any type of clamp to secure them. Cant really tell if the panel is bonded or not. Lastly the sheathing on many of the wires projects more then about a inch into the panel.

Foxe Smothers

Kevin to answer your question they are allowed on the 240 circuits but they must be coded for hot by wrapping black electrical tape around the wire ends at the connections.

Foxe Smothers

Originally Posted By: jpope

kmcmahon wrote:
Question for you guys...are white wires allowed to be used as "Hot" wires? If they are, do they need to be taped?

White wires used as "hot" wires are supposed to be permanently marked to indicate that they are not neutral wires. Although not permanent, black tape is often used. A better practice is black permanent marker.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: psabados

DUCT TAPE? icon_eek.gif Yeow!

I can see only two mounting screws used at the bottom on the panel, nothing on top. Looks like electrical tape and maybe silicone used to seal and secure the main power leads. Ganged grounds at upper left side, looks like 4-5 at one lug and extending way to far through the mounts.

It may just be the picture, but, insulation on circuits 1 & 3 (upper left) appear to be melting.

Lower right corner, 110 circuit under a 220 breaker, most likely touching the right side bus, and double tapped. Looks like a total of 4 double taps. (Hard to see but upper left breaker has one off that duct tape mess)

Upper right corner, 2 110 circuits through one knock-out, most likely unclamped. Cable sheathing extending to far into the interior area of the panel box.

Main power leads appear to be showing to much copper. tips could be exposed by about 1/2 inch. Note the wires to the 220 circuit very close if not touching the main service lines. Can't read the breaker sizes but I'm almost sure the we have a wire size to breaker size issue at several places. PVC chase does not appear to be proper.

Amateur installation, most likely installed by a un-qualified party and NOT permitted and inspected by AHJ.

High potential for shock and/or fire. Call for further evaluation and repairs performed by a qualified and licensed sparky!

OOPS!. Missed the lower left 220 breaker, circuit leads places directly behind the main power leads.

Did I say DUCT TAPE!

Paul

Counting down the days to Orlando 2005

Hey Peter

Main disconnect is lower left. Makes one wonder whats under neath the panel and where the meter is?

Paul

Since Im still looking. Where’s the cable protection on the light switch?

Paul

Woops!!! How did I miss that!

![icon_redface.gif](upload://f7DX2EWhmUfsDapWaYT3oJHMCj1.gif)

Quote:
Hey Peter

Main disconnect is lower left. Makes one wonder whats under neath the panel and where the meter is?

Must have been blinded by the rest.

Originally Posted By: jsnyder

Is this a sub-panel? If so, the grounds should not connect to the neutral bar.

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

Lots of equipment grounding conductors installed under one terminal…

Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Originally Posted By: dbush

James, no this was not a sub panel.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"