Q's regarding patio roof/wood/installation

Hey guys, I came across this patio recently and made a few notes about it in my report:

• Patio roof materials are showing signs of age due to granule loss - consider having a licensed roofer determine the remaining life of materials

• No lag bolts or joist hangers were observed at the ledger board, screws/nails only - this is inadequate

• Wood in contact with the ground and deterioration was observed.

Do you guys agree with the above callouts based on these pictures and would you add anything I missed?

Thank you

The rafters appear to be over spanned.
What is supporting the cantilevered section?
There may not be enough support for the beam, over spanned and it is hard to see how much of the beam is sitting on the post by the house.
Can’t see what type of flashing is installed.

4 Likes

Considering how far apart they have those rafters, maybe they are LVLs?

That long middle span is almost certainly an LVL or Glulam.

As far as the attachment on the house side, most certainly needs hangers and a properly attached ledger.

2 Likes

What about the electrical panel… … … … . .

^^^^^ All of this. ^^^^^ Heck, the beam appears to span maybe 20 feet which is way over-spanned.

(That’s assuming the rafters are @ 2 foot on center.)

Agree.

The beam might be LVL but, with how the rest of the roof is built, probably not.

I think these are knots, too.:

2 Likes

Here are a few additional things to consider

You should not need a roofer to come out and determine life remaining. Make the call, does it need repair or replacement?

Personally, I have no problem with the attachment.

Wood to stone, concrete, soil etc. Be specific because it matters.

2 Likes

Here a couple more pictures of the area

There was not a cantilevered section, the beam was resting on the wood post

I didn’t like the flashing either, it looked like just goopped up mastic. good note

This was one of the first things that I noticed, thank you for confirming Mark.

I called it out for its age. It was a federal pactific brand too, which we also note in our reports. The house appeared to be about 90% re-wired though.

Thanks for that confirmation Larry.

Cantilevered

1 Like

Did you site down the bottom of the beam? It looks like it sags substantially with only the dead load…

3 Likes

Good callouts. I did note the improper cable feed clearance. The condenser was not noticeably uneven when standing next to it.

During the summary I told them it did not appear to need repair or replacement (yet), just that was nearing the end of its expected useful life. Our company likes to refrain from making that call ourselves and putting it in the hands of a licensed roofer, but, I do bring up my thoughts in the summary with clients.

Interesting. So no lag bolts or hangers at the ledger board is not an issue for you here?

Oh oh oh, yes, your right. I thought he was referring to the beam. My mistake. Thank you.

I did note being overspanned but did not put the sagging. Good eye.

1 Like

Morning, Eric.
Hope this post finds you well.

Here is what I see.
Cantilevered low-slope roof.
1: Suspect: Ledger board fastening/anchorage.
1:a. No ledger board flashing.
2: Over spanned cantilever. Insufficient cantilever beam support.
3: Split ledger board.
4: No visible column footing. Not properly secured at the bottom. Poor wood post/column ground clearance. Visual Signs that wood is wicking water. Swollen bottom post. Damaged paint.
5: Poor roof deck joist blocking orientation.
6: No cross bracing to reinforce enforce the structural integrity.
7: Worn roof covering.
ledger board split illustration

1 Like

:pray: Thank you, Robert! I found your post very helpful in articulating the issues here - much-appreciated sir.

Good eye; I did not include this to the report.

I did not note this either. Any idea why someone would have installed with this orientation btw?

There are no joists. What you see are rafters with purlins.
(often they are used when needed due to the orientation of the roof decking material. It provides edge support.)

2 Likes

Thanks for this technical explanation, Brian. So they placed the rafters in the ledger board for that edge support here.

1 Like

Purlins are additional support. Depending on the design, they can be added midspan or just at the edges of the decking material. You often see them with metal roofs supporting vertical panels on vertical rafters.

Here is the idea for plywood with two different orientations: nothing is to scale.

1 Like

Thanks. Had my report about the deck on my mind.
Sorry, Eric.

1 Like

@ryoung7 No worries brother, appreciate the help all the same