Question from the rookie here?

What do you call for this? :???:

I can see some single straps

Chiun, I don’t see those kind of straps around my neck of the woods. They are apparently there to keep things from twisting. I am assuming this is a house? Where are you located?

Those are hurricane tie down straps to keep the roof framing from blowing off the walls.

Yes it is a house

For the wind mit form it is other plus description.

I assume you are asking concerning the 1802. Are the flat straps on each truss? If so, they would be clips. The horseshoe strap over the truss does not have any nails in the truss itself, therefore does not qualify for consideration on the form. They do very well for uplift though.

Now you are asking the right questions. Congrats

(You’re not in hurricane country!) I’m glad

Does’t anyone call out those dam nails protruding from the deck or any structure in a home?
I am at a lose for words.
I never installed fasteners longer than the required depth for that particular material being installed on the structure.
2 reasons you avoid using fasteners longer or shorter than required.
SAFETY BEING THE FIRST.
You do not need exposed nails or screws protruding from surfaces period.

Fasteners and there proper uses and proper application should help…

12d or 16d common nails were used on these straps and then bent over on the other side. This was done before the Simpson 10d stubby nail was invented and now used. Not something to call out…very common.

Chiun, are you asking this for Wind Mitigation? If so, they are not straps. Straps must be nailed with three nails on the front side and at least 1 on the backside of the truss. I would mark this as other.

Robert,
If the nails you are referring to are the ones in the field, they are most likely, holding down the tiles on the roof.
They are required to penetrate the decking.

It is why on low slope tile roofs, I wear a hard hat in the attic!

Bingo.
Shingle tile nails.
I have seen this repeatably. I am amazed.
Over 30 years ago learning the trade we where taught about fasteners for roofing. Big company and mostly government jobs.
Never would a faster go through the deck. The foreman would have " hell to pay " from the job over site manager Andy Zabo.
Stuck like glue. Every old school roofer I worked with measured the deck before buying nails.
Low slope shingles where banned in Quebec 20 plus years ago.
Pour product in cold climate.

Eric,
I might disagree with you on the nails. They look more like cap nails used to hold down underlayment. I agree it’s probably a tile roof but would think that the tiles were installed using either mortar (which I think should be a crime in Florida) or foam adhesive.

Good point about the underlayment Aubrey.
If a deck is 5/8 you use 1/2" roofing nails.
Nailing patterns.

If you look closely at the pictures, you will see the smaller nails which penetrate the deck about a half an inch. Those would be for the underlayment nails.

The longer nails would be for the tiles, which I suspect are a nail and clip type installation.Tile clips

If the tiles were installed with mortar, which is rarely done anymore, there would be no long nails. Same thing goes for foam. As to your “crime” statement, I am assuming you made that statement due to your experience with improperly installed “mud-down” roofs.

There are many homes that have 60 year old mud down roofs on them and have never lost a tile or leaked. These houses were built in the 50s and 60s and when done properly, the mud down system is very good.

There are issues that arise with certain types of tiles, broom-swept, in particular, where they loosen up prematurely, but overall, the mud down system was very reliable.

This is for shingle roof applications:

I’ll look to find the nailing requirements for tile roofs. It is attached.

Thanks Eric.

I still see a clip…am i wrong