Questions from a newby

Hi,

I’m just starting the online course for Florida licensing and have very little knowledge.

Questions:

1. How long can I expect it will take to complete the online course if I dedicate 5 days a week?
  2. Once I complete the online course and take the state exam am I certified to work or are there
    additional requirements before beginning employment? I would want to start ASAP.
  3. I’m 52 years of age. Are there any age restrictions with respect to getting hired?
  4. Will the job require a truck? I currently have an SUV.
  5. What sort of tools or job-related items might I be required to obtain?

Thanks in advance for any helpful responses and/or advice

Frank

1 Like

Welcome to our forum, Frank!

1. That depends on your study habits and ability to understand the content. (You said you have very little knowledge.)

2. IDK. Florida people will respond. (I’m in MI.)

3. No age restrictions but if you think you are going to be hired right away in your local, that may not be realistic. You may have to travel in FL.

4. An SUV will work fine.

5. It depends on if you get hired and the employer (or contractor) has tools for you to use. But basics are report software, computer, ladders that telescope or fold or such, flashlights, basic screw drivers or screw gun, basic electric testers, etc., etc., etc.

The biggest issue that I see is that you have very little background knowledge and expect to be hired in your local…but I could be wrong.

Again, welcome and there are no stupid questions. We all started somewhere. :smile:

1 Like

You need to comply with the State requirements:
Proctored exam, background check/fingerprint screen, general liability insurance, etc.

https://www.myfloridalicense.com/CheckListDetail.asp?SID=&xactCode=1030&clientCode=0401&XACT_DEFN_ID=13061

You’ll need a number of other things, (tools, software, business plans and/or employment goals, etc) and a boat load of training, but those above items are the starting points for licensing.

Appreciate the response.

When you say “local” are you referring to the city I am residing?

Thanks

So would this be “on the job” training? I don’t mind training but I would need to be collecting an income

Thanks

Yes…:smile:

Thank you sir

You should start researching if any companies are hiring new or “trainie” inspectors, as it sounds like you’re leaning that direction. The majority of HI’s are single operators running their own show, but there are opportunities to work in a multi-inspetor firm. Lots of newly minted inspectors will be vying for those same positions.

Thank you sir

BTW, how did you get started? Did you start as an independent inspector or did you begin the job via a firm? I assume it would not be a good idea or even possible to start as an independent inspector without experience, even though one has his license.

Why did you choose this career? What is your background? Why do you think you will be able to competently perform the duties of an inspector?

2 Likes

Are you interviewing me for a job interview or is your purpose to insult me?

I do not think anyone was born with the moderate skills required to become a home inspector. Which means such skills are attainable if I have a certain aptitude.

His questions are actually very important. If you’re wanting to do home inspections you better have at least somewhat of an interest in the construction process and building science of a home. People look to you for guidance and your professional opinion on the condition of systems and components of their potential house. One that is going to cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars. If you’re looking for a “get rich quick” or “easy money” job, this is by far one of the worst ways to do that. This career takes an intense amount of learning, knowledge and competency throughout your whole career. This leads into his second questions. If you have very minimal or next to no experience in construction or the building science of a home than you have a very long way to go. Not a bad thing but you’re going to have to learn and abundance of information before you start doing any inspections, let alone getting paid for one.
As an inspector, you’re going to represent the whole of the industry. If you are out inspecting and look like a tool who knows nothing or doesn’t look like you know what you’re doing, you hurt every one of us who struggle to make our industry a legitimate and profitable business. It’s not about you, it’s about us.
Good luck to you.

2 Likes

Frank:
Pay attention to what has been said ^^^^^^^^^^^
You will need enough financial resources to survive for at least two years, if you start your own company. You may get lucky and find a multi inspector firm that is willing to hire you but don’t expect to earn enough to support yourself, let alone a family.
Not trashing you at all just trying to provide realistic information.
BTW: If you think Jeff was being insulting, you ain’t heard nothing yet!
Cheers

2 Likes

If he thought what JJ said was insulting, he is going to be in for a big surprise.

3 Likes

Inspiring & Welcoming bunch :smiley:

1 Like

Just trying to be realistic Simon.
Cheers

With all due respect, I think we all understand these things. Implications are better reserved for someone you actually know. I’m going to avoid discouragement

With all due respect, if you thought what I wrote was condescending or “discouraging” in anyway than you have an even longer way to go. I wrote an unbiased honest opinion for someone in your position, not you directly.
I wish you the best and again, good luck.

1 Like

I’d never hire you with that attitude.
There was no insult intended, but perhaps you have a guilty conscience.
Good luck with your mid-life crises!

1 Like