Questions of the week 8/23/2021

Easy learning for the newer inspectors or students. Let’s give them a shot first…

Welcome To Questions of The Week!

A member of the Awards Committee will post questions, at a random day/time.

Members may make one post per question thread to answer the questions, and the member’s winning entry must have all parts of the questions answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

First correct answers (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Questions) wins.
Request your choice by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submit your Mailing address for shipping.

Choose your prize from the following list!:

** $50.00 gift certificate from Inspector Outlet
** Case of books "Now That You’ve Had A Home Inspection"
** Seventeen Custom Branded Videos value $50.00 ~ your choice!
https://certifiedmasterinspector.org/video-contest 2

All members are eligible… … …
Good luck!

1. These are considered what type of ventilation and are used for what.

A. Ridge

B. Soffit

C. Gable

D. Turbine

1. T/F with an explanation: Most likely you will find the attic fan located in a hallway with an operating switch near by.

2. A certain HVAC system component is located in the attic. What is it and what would be of most concern for potential damage and why?

3. There is an attic above the garage that can be accessed through a door in an upstairs, adjacent bedroom. It is planked and serves for good storage. What should be the main thing(s) your are looking for in your inspection in this scenario ?

4. What is the most dangerous thing to consider when entering an attic?

A. Joist spacing and foot placement

B. Rabid animals

C. Temperature

D. Chucky Dolls

Extra Credit;

“Know the heartaches I’ve been through” Song and artist.

2 Likes

I am removing my answers because I was a dork and missed the intro. @tglaze has them for safe keeping.

1 Like

I guess @bcawhern1 is new :joy:

2 Likes

I must be new, because I totally missed that intro!

3 Likes

It’s okay, they’ll change the rules again next week. :grinning:

3 Likes

Great questions, Mr. Glaze. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hey, we have to keep it interesting…and let others play too…I’m I right?? :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

For sure. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Nice job,Tom!

3 Likes

Great work Thomas !!

3 Likes

Cannot play if you live in a region where there’s NEVER been any moose

3 Likes

Well, one did wash ashore, can I play? :grinning:

4 Likes

See? Proof there are aliens. Beaming stuff up and just dropping it off where they damn please!

2 Likes

Old dude but very new to all this I’d say R B did pretty well so only some minor things to add.
1: The REASON for the ventilation…help prevent moisture in the attic, help prolong life of roof covering, and help provide better cooling within the living space.
2: His response feels spot on.
3: Agree. Make sure drip pan not clogged and condensate lines properly sloped and drained.
4: While absolutely would be looking for structural issues, the other concerns are adequate ventilation since above a garage where may be all types of materials that could create hazardous climate, proper fire break (garage ceiling), since seems easy access from interior of home make sure that this is not locking door that could allow someone to be trapped inside, some type of light fixture.
5: Being in S Fla I’d have to go with heat ( or temp since cold could be just as deadly if trapped or injured)
Extra Credit…I can often sing along, just never have any idea who or what I’m singing along to.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, John, Enjoy,

1 Like

Great efforts and some really good responses. I think some of the questions are being “over thought”. Keep it simple …

2 Likes

Bump! Anyone else want to try?

1 Like

So all members can have at it now master Thomas? :grinning:

1 Like

Only if they want to learn Marc. Last chance to try or I’m throwing it back to the committee to decide. However, “some” members already know the answers… :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

1 Like

The newbies are afraid to reply in fear of being attacked by the guard dogs. :flushed:

2 Likes