Questions Of The Week April 29 ~ BUG QUESTIONS!

Congrats to Bill Forrest for this week! www.msrehomeinspectionservices.com

He got them all and the MUSIC except for #3 that no one got. Robert you were very close!
Terry! You were on the right track on #2. Mechanical is good.
Mechanical transmission is the transfer of pathogens, a mechanical vector is the bug that transfers it.
See ya next week.
Time for MANNY! I hope :cowboy_hat_face:

1. Another name for insects & lobsters is _______
    Arthropod

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) Disease Vectors are frequently arthropods.
Flies can pick up infectious agents on the outside of their bodies and transmit them through physical contact.
This is called _______ _______
Mechanical Vector

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) I was called by a bank to perform a flea treatment. Some of the office personnel were complaining & itching!
The employees including a leader began feeling bites and discovered rashes and other skin eruptions. These individuals identified certain portions of rooms where the pests are common and demanded control.

After my inspection, there was NOTHING present to cause “the affliction”.
I was paid to perform a flea treatment, but only sprayed with WATER.
This pleased everyone & the “fleas” were then gone.

This type of scenario is known as _______ _______
Contagious Hysteria **note: sorta like “mob psychology”

As the name implies, imaginary pest infestations sometimes upset a group of people at the same time. This hysteria can be passed along or accepted by others. Contagious hysteria often occurs in an office work force. Factors usually connected with the hysteria include crowded conditions, overtime work, excessively detailed or boring tasks, changing climate, changing seasons, paper handling, perceived unfairness of working conditions caused by physical arrangements in the work space, etc. Classically, a few individuals, including a leader or spokesperson, begin feeling bites and discover rashes and other skin eruptions. These individuals identify certain portions of rooms where the pests are common and demand control. Supervisors usually do not believe there is a pest problem because they are usually unaffected by the contributing conditions, but they may be recruited as pressure for results mounts. When careful inspection for mites, psocids and other pests fails to reveal culprits, premises should be checked for allergens and irritants such as insect parts, fiberglass fragments, static electricity, volatile materials, etc. Pesticide application in these cases should be avoided.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) Name the BUG!
a) Bombyliid Fly
b) Parasitic Wasp
c) Horse Fly
d) Honey Bee
e) Montreal Dumb Fly
a) Bombyliid Fly
This insect is a true fly so it only has one pair of wings compared to two pair like bees

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
5) Some bug’s nymphs are aquatic insects.
This one type may spend up to 5 years underwater, before becoming an adult!
What is it?
Dragonfly

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
WHO sang this on WHAT song?
You can’t get through life without gratitude
John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers - I Cant Complain
This is where Eric Clapton got his start.

1 Like

Thanks Marc.
Some very good questions.

1 Like

Congratulations Bill Forrest on a nice win! :grin:

Congrats William!

Great investigative work, Bill!

nicely done !

Good job, Bill!

way to go , Bill!

You the man bill!