Questions Of The Week January 11, 2022

Welcome To Questions of The Week!

A member of the Awards Committee will post questions, at a random day/time.

Members may make one post per question thread to answer the questions, and the member’s winning entry must have all parts of the questions answered completely in that one post.

No editing is allowed and INELIGIBLE members will be disqualified.

First correct answers (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Questions) wins.

Request your choice by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submit your Mailing address for shipping.

Choose your prize from the following list!:

** $50.00 gift certificate from Inspector Outlet

** Case of books "Now That You’ve Had A Home Inspection"

** Seventeen Custom Branded Videos value $50.00 ~ your choice!

https://certifiedmasterinspector.org/video-contest 1

GOOD LUCK!

1. If all the soil beneath a foundation swells uniformly, there usually is no problem. Issues occur, however, when only part of the home settles. Then, the differential movement causes cracks or other damages.

Name three issues resulting from foundation settlement:

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) Inspect this

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~

1. You don’t have to worry about Katsaridaphobia here!

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) Inspect this

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
5) Mosquitoes are the deadliest animal to us, what’s the second?

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
Extra Credit!
WHO sang this on WHAT song?

now I don’t know what to do with myself

9 Likes

Great questions Marc !!!

5 Likes

WTG Marc…good ones!

5 Likes

Nice Marc. this one should have interesting answers.

5 Likes

Great questions, Marc. :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for doing this, Marc!

4 Likes

1.Doors that will not open or close properly
Windows that are hard to open and close
Cracks in bricks and mortar
2. Without knowing where this is taken of which while inspecting we would know
Condensing Unit has not been maintained. Qualified service provider to evaluate
3. Antarctica
4. Vent is not properly piped and condensation is forming. Qualified service provider to repair.
5. Humans
Contagious Song by Trapt

4 Likes

1a) Cracks in the building can lead to water intrusion, leading to termites, rot, etc.
1b) Blattodephobia, developed after cracks allow swarms of insects to cover one’s bed at night.
1c) Lawsuits and legal action.
1d) Uneven floors, resulting in unfair games of marbles on the floor for the kids.

1. A heavy layer of dust was observed on the heat exchanger, which like reduces the performance of the unit. This exchanger should be protected by an air quality filter. Care must be used cleaning this exchanger as the fins are exceptionally fragile.

2. Dreaming of Mars, if NASA or Space X are careful enough. Not willing to move into a penguin nest.

3. Discoloration and scraps of fiberglass insulation were observed at the ceiling air duct. This could lead to fiberglass fibers in the air, and possibly indicates a tear or defect in the duct with attendant energy loss. Evaluation by a HVAC professional is recommended.

4. Humans kill nearly as many humans as mosquitos. More so if you include deliberate or casual low efforts made by humans at protecting other humans from communicable diseases, which would push the total well above mosquito deaths.

E) Thinking that I have too much time on my hand to be answering this. Maybe I should pick up some sticks instead.

3 Likes

Can’t understand why there are not more people in the QOFW. There are such great questions. Some you know and some you look up and still get then wrong. The people that do this come upwith great questions. ALL I CAN SAY IS WHF.

3 Likes

Sometimes many answers, winter time is slow

3 Likes

Im new here but going to give this a shot, so bare with me. :slight_smile:

1. “3 foundation issues”: Doors and windows sticking and not opening or closing correctly. Cracks coming up/down from the foundation. Sagging or uneven floor boards/joists.
  2. Im going to guess this is a picture of an HVAC filter in need of serious cleaning and regular maintenance.
  3. Antarctica
  4. An HVAC vent showing signs of condensation, possible cause of restricted air flow and too much moisture.
  5. Unfortunately the second animal most harmful to humans is other humans
  6. Lil Corey sang “now I don’t know what to do with myself” on the song: “Missing You”

Thanks this was fun!
Candi

4 Likes

So… … …
Great answers, hard to decide who wins.
I flipped a coin but then realized there’s only two sides.
I threw some darts around but the spirits did not speak.

Congrats to winners
Jim Gilbert
Bryce Nesbitt
Candice Johnson

1. If all the soil beneath a foundation swells uniformly, there usually is no problem. Issues occur, however, when only part of the home settles. Then, the differential movement causes cracks or other damages.
    Name three issues resulting from foundation settlement:
    https://deskaservices.com/residential/foundation-settlement-repair/problem-signs/

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) Inspect this

Evaporator coils dirty/clogged restricting air flow/cooling

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) You don’t have to worry about Katsaridaphobia here!
For people with katsaridaphobia, or the fear of cockroaches, the common pests are more than nuisances—they are the stuff of nightmares.

There are species of roaches on every continent except one.
Roaches are adaptable and find ways to survive in most environments, just not in Antarctica

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) Inspect this

AC register duct damaged/leaky, also the windows were open.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
5) Mosquitoes are the deadliest animal to us, what’s the second?
Humans
Though only female mosquitoes feed on humans, the mosquito remains the deadliest animal in the world.
In addition to spreading deadly diseases like malaria, yellow fever, and dengue, these small insects can have a big impact on a person’s health and well being.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
WHO sang this on WHAT song?

now I don’t know what to do with myself

Thanks Bryce for getting it correct!

Styx - Too Much Time On My Hands
They’ll be down here Feb 19

7 Likes

Congratulations Jim, Bryce and Candice! :+1:

6 Likes

Congratulations Jim, Bryce and Candice

5 Likes

Candice found another tune I wasn’t thinking of with the same lyrics
THANKS for the enlightenment Candice.

5 Likes

Question about the HVAC coils, shouldn’t there be ice build up if the coils are clogged?

1 Like

Congrats, Jim, Bryce, Candice, Well done, Nice.

6 Likes

Possible.
Down here not the norm. Just reduced air flow, not cooling adequately.
I see iced coils if the filter is so nasty it has really blocked the air flow causing imbalance/condensation on the coils to ice over.

4 Likes

Great thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Don’t forget to follow the instructions in the first post to claim your prize, Candice. :grin:

3 Likes