Questions Of The Week April 11

Welcome To Questions of The Week!

A member of the Awards Committee will post questions, at a random day/time.

Members may make one post per question thread to answer the questions, and the member’s winning entry must have all parts of the questions answered completely in that one post.

No editing is allowed and INELIGIBLE members will be disqualified .

First correct answers (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Questions) wins.

Request your choice by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submit your Mailing address for shipping.

Choose your prize from the following list!:

** $50.00 gift certificate from Inspector Outlet

** Case of books "Now That You’ve Had A Home Inspection"

** Custom Branded Videos value $50.00 ~ your choice!

https://certifiedmasterinspector.org/video-contest 1

GOOD LUCK!

NOTE: All images here are high resolution so you can expand them for your viewing pleasure!

Question 1

What is the common problem in these four pictures? Also provide the specific problems related to it that can be seen. To help you without giving it completely away think of the worst case scenario with this common problem and that is what is there. Remember the pictures are high resolution if you want to expand them for closer views. Yes this is a pre-drywall inspection however you can easily see something like this in any finished home in areas that have no wall coverings.

Question 2

What is wrong in this picture?

Question 3

One reading was taken from the exterior early in the morning at the start of the inspection. The second from inside near the end of the inspection. What’s wrong here?

Question 4

This is an exterior mounted tankless water heater in a 2 X 4 framed wall with a brick veneer exterior. What’s wrong here?

Question 5

Given that the plumbing fixture has been properly installed with its aesthetics also accounted for what is wrong here?

Fun with music!

In 1980 this rock group released a new album and started a tour based on that album. The tour started in Europe, had an extensive run in the United States and then ended again overseas in 1981. These are the questions. For those that are very religious (nothing wrong with that) you most likely would not know this.

What was the name of the group?

What was the name of the tour called?

What very radical signature special effect did they use in the concert?

What was the typical first song of the set?

4 Likes

Great questions, Manny. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Manny. Good questions

3 Likes

Thanks, Manny…great questions! :+1:

2 Likes

WTG Manny !!

2 Likes

Great questions

3 Likes

Let’s give it another try. Thank you very much for allowing me to go forward after my omission of a question.
@mgoldenberg
@escanlan
@lkage
@ruecker

1. Ok, so we have a new house of Horrors here. At first glance I would say you are kidding. I would say the common problem is a complete lack of any kind of quality for all the trades that thought they were doing something right. The common problem is the other trades complete lack of regard when installing their JUNK. Let’s start with the worst case as I see it. The walls have been compromised with the terrible modifications to install everything. The gas line holes are drilled oversize and removing any structural integrity and there is no support for the lines. Can we say movement and a possible gas leak when the pipes move. EXPLOSION. All of the plumbing is a terrible install with no clearance to the edge of the studs. Water lines and drain lines are all bad. What a terrible job in the protection plates. They are not even flush with the surface. Next we can proceed to the electrical wires. Randomly run and I say that mildly, with no supports to keep the wires away from the edge of the walls to allow the sheetrockers to drill through at several places to trip the GFIC breakers if in fact there are any installed. So in summary. We can have a gas leak then a spark to cause the explosion but on the bright side we can have the water spraying all over to put out the fire.
  2. It appears that there is a step down to the garage without a landing, watch out that first step is a bad one. Not the mention the terrible install on the floor which could be a tripping hazard. They should put the caution tape up permanently.
  3. The maximum pressure indicator was not set so there is no way to tell if there is a pressure spike that would be controlled by the pressure regulator.
  4. The door does not close properly. Would not be water proof. There is a sharp edge where the gas line comes through and where is the condensation line going.
  5. The handle is not installed properly and the over flow although functional? Is not installed properly. If you can see this it makes you wonder what is wrong that you can’t see.

Black sabbath
Heaven and hell tour
Electronic cross that flashed lights and burst into flames which hardly ever worked
War Pigs

2 Likes

sorry just noticed I forgot to answer 4 and had 4 as 5. missed 4 but no editing. Better luck next time. 4 is 5.

2 Likes

1: The common problem is a lack of concern by the plumber for the job of the other trades (framer and electrician and sheetrock to name a few). The studs have no remaining integrity due to excessive bore sizes and poor plumbing layout, and the nail plates are a joke.
There are electrical wire issues also, but not common to all photos.
2: The door threshold is missing (the left hand trim piece was placed poorly, and too soon).
3: So the static pressure dropped 10 psi during the day. Hmm. I have no answer, just more questions like what was the outside reading at the end of the inspection. Maybe the sprinklers went off, and the house has insufficient flow?
4: Don’t like the sharp hole and the electrical conduit. Don’t like the condensate line going inside rather than outside. Don’t like that the wall will have no WRB or weep at this point, so its a leak waiting to happen. Is this the same house as the bad plumbing?
5: The handle is backwards?
Music: no answer

1 Like

For #3 if you’re running a full flow test on the hot, and the cold dropped 10 PSI on a new house, I’m at a loss for why. Unless it was the same plumber that drilled all the stud holes, then all bets are off :wink:

Good questions, and I like that the questions are not just google fodder, but require some analysis.

1 Like

Go ahead with a redo and add/edit what you need. After all I can allow that. :wink:

3 Likes

You can have a redo too if you want? :wink: :wink:

1 Like

I bet the powers-that-be would let you add an amendment for your missed question. I would hope anyways. But it has been a tough crown around here lately. :grin:

1 Like

Manny sez go :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

yep…my bold above. :cowboy_hat_face:

Deleted before I read. Bad on me, no worries. Thank you.

1 Like

No bad, all good! Go ahead and have a re-do. :smiley:

2 Likes

@escanlan
@lkage
@ruecker
@mgoldenberg
Thank you all. I will try to remember the wording and redo. As stated this is all on your own. No google. Let me get back to my computor. Dont 2 thumb phone type well. Many thanks to all.

1 Like

Please don’t forget @mgoldenberg . Marc is our Awards Committee Chairman, now, and a great guy.

1 Like
  1. Simple 1st-over notching. Then, the gas pipe is not secure.
  2. The door is missing weather stripping.
  3. There is a water leak somewhere.
  4. Conduit does not have a bushing/grommet
  5. Faucet handle backwards

Fun with music
Black Sabbath
Heaven and Hell tour
Electronic cross that flashed lights and burst into flames
War Pigs

2 Likes