Welcome To Questions of The Week!
A member of the Awards Committee will post questions, at a random day/time.
Members may make one post per question thread to answer the questions, and the member’s winning entry must have all parts of the questions answered completely in that one post.
No editing is allowed and INELIGIBLE members will be disqualified.
First correct answers (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Questions) wins.
Request your choice by emailing email@example.com and submitting your Mailing address for shipping.
Choose your prize from the following list!:
** $50.00 gift certificate from Inspector Outlet
** Case of books “Now That You’ve Had A Home Inspection”
1) If water infiltration is suspected behind a finished surface. What tool would be the best choice to verify dampness?
a) An infrared thermometer
b) A pin-type moisture meter
c) A non-contact moisture meter
d) A digital camera
2) Low pressure boiler pipes do NOT carry steam pressure above
a) 15 psi
b) 12 psi
c) 9 psi
d) 6 psi
3) You inspect a wood framed cantilevered balcony off a second-story bedroom. You find significant wood deterioration (at least one-half member depth) of all cantilever joists at the bearing point of the house. You should
a) Notify the occupants of the significant hazard, advise immediate repair to both the occupant and client in the report.
b) Note the significant hazard and recommend immediate repair, by licensed professional, in your report.
c) Refer the wood deterioration to a structureal pest control operator for professional opinion.
d) Recommend sistering existing framing members to increase strength, prior to further use.
4) You are inspecting an older home which has replacement windows and new vinyl siding. The new siding is backed up with rigid foam insulation that covers the service entrance cable from the weatherhead to the meter. You should report that this is
a) Acceptable because the siding is a non-conducting type
b) An improper installation that should be corrected
c) A benefit because additional protection is provided to the service entrance cable
d) Acceptable, provided the drip loops at the service entrance head are left exposed.
5) The MINIMUM clearance between a wood stove single wall vent connector and combustible materials should be
a) 3 inches.
b) 9 inches.
c) 18 inches.
d) 36 inches.
Bonus question – Who sang this and what song?
“You didn’t get any unless you went steady and made out for a year”