Radon add on worth it?

Hi Jim, you install a canister and ask them to ship it 3 months later? Thanks,

David

Brent, yes you are correct, I did leave out Transportation charges, ie. Gas etc…
very minimal in our case based on the volume we do monthly, its just another overhead expense . Around here the going Rate is about 150 - 200 for a stand alone test and if in addition to another service such as a Home Inspection, Air Quality test, mold inspection etc… then typically discounted to 125.00 - 150.00

Also in certain counties in Maryland it is now Required to have your home tested for radon. Also for those people that don’t know better and want a CRM for whatever reason we have about 10 of them here also, so when those are used that’s not an issue either.

If you can generate the volume then doing Radon, mold etc… is Much less work, and takes a fraction of the time to make a considerable larger profit per time spent.

the bottom line is It’s all good as long as we all are making a good profit.

Jim

3 months ? heck no, that is a Long term test. I use Air Chec’s charcoal collection bags, on occasions if needed a CRM machine. Short term testing is 48-96 hours depending on the properties condition (closed house or not). We set them, and then pick them back up ourselves, never does the client do anything. We have developed a pretty good pick up method so its usually very cost effective, sure on an occasion I get boned for 1/2 hour or so, but on average we clean up.

Jim

James, you are using the white bag with blue print from Air-Check? Still deciding who to use. Thanks.

Mainly for short term testing I use the qhite bag, red writing

Activated Charcoal (short-term) Radon Test Kit

ProChek Real Estate Radon Test
](Pro Chek quick start instructions)
ProCheks Are Ideal For Real Estate or School Testing

Two 2 to 4 day test kits are required.
Includes fax/email reporting same day as analysis.
Deploy the 2 radon tests side by side to satisfy EPA real estate protocols.
Use our FedEx Return Service for discounts on return shipping
Bulk pricing for large buildings and schools

For larger, schools and big commercial buildings I use some other stuff.

Jim

FYI…if closed house conditions have not been met for 12 hours prior to device deployment you CANNOT use charcoal kits. A CRM with delayed start is the only option, unless you come back the following day to install your charcoal kits.

Interesting, can you show where that comes from?

Jim

I’d love to see that also.

Jeff, I never heard of that ever, and I am kind of a Radon Guru around My state and work closely with the epa and several govt officials on Radon testing issues and Regulations.

Jim

I haven’t either, and knowing that you can’t trust 100% the homeowners to follow closed house instructions completely, I always push for the max 96 hours test duration. The pre-12 hours is for the home to stabilize. Charcoal canisters are measured for content over the stated time period, so the first 12 hours prolly doesn’t effect the overall results that much.

Exactly !!!

Jim

Here’s the rub:

According to ANSI/AARST MAH 2014 Protocol for Conducting Measurements of Radon and Radon Decay Products:

3.3 Detector Deployment Periods

3.3.1 Short-Term Testing

3.3.1.1 b)  If Closed Building Conditions were not maintained for twelve hours prior to deployment:

i)  When using passive integrating or equilibrating devices, the test period shall be extended to four days or more AFTER closed building conditions are initiated.

In order for your passive test to be valid, you would have to leave it for a minimum of 96 hours. Unfortunately many of the test kits have a maximum exposure period of 96 hours. In theory, you would have to collect the device at 96 hours on the dot for that test to be valid.

I know I am splitting hairs here, but I’m an advocate of CRM’s for real estate testing. You are correct, the first 12 hours would be fairly meaningless as these devices are heavily biased to the last 12 hours of exposure anyway, and are not true time integrating test devices.

Just something for you to chew on!

And yes, I think adding radon as an ancillary service is beneficial. Are you going to make money hand over fist doing it? No, but it certainly helps your marketing, and I manage to make a little something off of each test.

Well now, where have I heard that before?

Sure is a lot different than…

How many of you actually retrieve your charcoal devices at 96 hours on the nose if closed conditions were not present when you installed them? Just curious…

Me. I (typically) run mine as close to 96 hours whether it was closed house or not. My clients appreciate that I care enough to attempt to get the most accurate reading I can with the timeframe they have to work with. All clients also receive my recommendation to run a long term test after move-in, regardless of what their results come back as. Yes, I provide that service also! :wink:

Awesome! Keep up the great service Jeff!

Thanks. I intend to, but as I’ve said above, it’s gotta continue to make business sense. When it no longer benefits my company (or my clients at I fee I am able to charge) to provide the service, I’m done.

I do !! I actually make a joke about it with my clients, and tell them it’s like a lets make a deal game where you need to hit 96 hours without going over to win. They chuckle, but it helps them understand and they appreciate it.

Jim

All 3 pages of this thread confirm what I already knew. Hiring it out and making $45 per test to forward two emails is the way to go.

If I told a client or REA that I needed to place some mickey mouse charcoal canister for 96 hours I would be laughed at then hung up on. That nonsense doesn’t work in central Indiana. The expectation around here is a 48 hour CRM for around $120 fee.

That attitude is exactly why you should not ever perform any ancillary services for your Clients!