Radon CRM

Originally Posted By: Fred Silva
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Can anyone give me some input on purchasing a CRM. I’ve done the research but only the sales flyers and WEB sites from the sellers. The sun Nuclear 1027 is affordable at 525.00 but I don’t know how it handles out in the field. The ALPHA II at 1795.00 isn’t bad either but again no input on how it works in the field. Also looked at the literature from RADALINK but it’s a lease program. Any and all thought will be helpful. icon_question.gif

Thanks
Fred Silva

--
Fred Silva

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

The main problem I see with CRM’s is the financial ability to perform many radon inspections at the same time. I know when I owned PEACH Inspections, it was not unusual for 15 radon inspections to be running simultaneously. A CRM or two isn’t bad when you are slow, but if you get busy, you’re &%#@. Maybe one CRM and use Eperm’s or Charcoal otherwise, can cover the busy times without big $ outlay.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Fred,

Give this guy a call. He is a good guy and he helped me alot. I am sure if he does not know he can put you in contact with someone very knowledgeable about the CRM's.

Robert Kerecz Bethlehem PA (610) 866-9807

He is a member of NACHI and you call tell him I suggested you give him a call.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rfunk

Hi Fred I have used Sun Nuclear for about 2years and just upload the report to my laptop to fine tune in Microsoft Word and am able to generate a very impressive report for only the initial cost of the CRM @ $525.00 A virtual gold mine after the first five tests! I don’t do a lot of Radon testing and my travel area is relatively small so this device suits my needs perfectly. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I wrote a little article about ensuring profitability when offering radon inspections.

http://www.nachi.org/dear_nachi3.htm

Nick

Originally Posted By: jdavidson

When you lease one they send you a new one each year. If you have your own, like a Sun Nuclear, do you have to have it serviced? If so how much and how many times a year?

John Davidson

Heads Up Home Inspections

Morton, IL

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

When I was doing my own radon testing in N. VA I used this company. I found it easier and cheaper in the long run to sub it out to someone and mark it up, but some of you may want to try this link.

http://www.femto-tech.com/rent.html

Originally Posted By: jdavidson

Guess I don’t get the differance between a Femto-Tech CMR-510 for $4000 and the Sun Nuclear 1027 for $535. What am I missing?

If you get the 1027 the yearly service to the monitors (repair/calibration) is only $125.00 so why would you rent one?

--
John Davidson
Heads Up Home Inspections
Morton, IL

Originally Posted By: wrobedeau

I am using to Sun Nuclear 1027. It works just fine and appears to be very accurate. I have checked the 1027 against activated charcoal. It easy to download the testing information through a serial port to the computer. I transfer the information to my report in Microsoft Word and issue the report to the customer the same day I pick it up.

Bill Robedeau
AIIZ Inspections, LLC
a2zinspect.com

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

I encourage those who are just getting started in radon testing to use the RadaLink program at www.radalink.com.

By the time you purchase a charcoal kit, mail it to the lab, get it back, deliver it to the client, include the requisite number of spikes, blanks, & duplicates, etc you've built up quite a cost per test. Somebody doing it this way would have to answer exactly how much.

Purchasing my own Continuous Radon Monitor, such as Sun Nuclear or one of the others is a fairly large initial outlay of cash. I still have to do my own reports, and get them to the client. Arrange to do the comparison tests, spikes, etc. Send it away for yearly calibration during which time I can't use it. Write and maintain a QA plan. Only someone whose done it can answer those cost questions.

With a RadaLink, I place the monitor, push a few buttons and go away. Sometime during the test, I spend about 5 or 10 minutes online at www.radalink.com's site to upload the test data, i.e. client name, address, client e-mail, etc. At the end of the test, I hook the monitor to a phone line, punch a few buttons to get the data to Radalink on a toll free phone call, disconnect, take my machine and go away. RadaLink reviews the data, prepares the report, and e-mails it to the client. RadaLink develops and provides the QA plan. Sends me a new monitor before I have to send my old one to them for calibration.

At $165.00 a month flat rate for each monitor, 10 tests a month costs me $16.50 apiece. With no more of my time than setting and retrieving the monitor and inputting the data. All with professional backup and support.

If I start getting a lot more tests, I simply order more monitors shipped to me and terminate those when demand drops.

I think I'm going to love it.

Granted, maybe a couple of years down the road, when I have a hell of a lot more experience with radon testing and all the intricacies of the record keeping and testing and calibrating, I may decide to provide more of the labor myself and go with the Sun Nuclear or something simple.

But, for now, I prefer the ease of use and professional support from Radalink.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: jedwards

Erby, a question-- what’s the demand for radon testing in KY?

Although most of SC rates as zone 3 under EPA, several upstate counties in my market area are zone 1 or 2 (like most of Kentucky). Nevertheless, demand for testing here is minimal. I offer EPA-compliant 2-can testing just because it's cheap and simple, but few clients are interested.

Just curious about your clients' interest in radon testing.

Thanks...

--
John Edwards
Assurance South, LLC home page
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Erby Crofutt

B4U Close Home Inspections

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: Tom Turner

John,

I too an in Kentucky. I service the Louisville metro area and southern Indiana. I have been doing radon testing for about 14 years and I can tell you when I started there was very little demand for testing or mitigation services. I got with a group of home inspectors and started to inform the real estate agents of the importance of radon testing and reducing their liability in the real estate transaction. The EPA also started running radio spots with their message.( most ads ran after midnight) This education paid off. We now run 15-25 tests per month. You need to educate agents in your area not only of the dangers of radon gas, but the liability they can incur if they do not highly recommend radon screenings. You can offer to test some agents houses or offices at no cost to help in your efforts. I like Erby use Radalink. If you use their services they have a excellent video to give/show agents to help building your business. Market to all agents, not just the ones that use you. You can open some eyes and maybe increase your HI business too.

TomT

Originally Posted By: jedwards

Tom, good info, thanks.

John Edwards

Assurance South, LLC home page

Pre-Paid Legal Services