Radon Testing in NY

(Alan Singer, #16000058241) #1

Any of my fellow NY inspectors - what is the deal with using a CRM device in NY? Do you need special certifications as in being a lab? or can anyone grab a CRM and have at it? I can never get solid information about NY regulations. I know I can test for radon using charcoal canisters without any certifications?

(Stephen H. Payson) #2

NY does not require certification

Radon Training - New York - CERTI.US

(Michael S. Gleeson, 16000070526) #3

That site appears out of date. Here is the official NY site: Radon Information

(Stephen H. Payson) #4

It appears so. Here’s a page from your link:

Certified Radon Testers

Didn’t realize I could test in NY with my NJ cert.

(Michael S. Gleeson, 16000070526) #5

You still have to register in NY but they recognize the NJ regulations as acceptable. They just want you to pay your fee and report your results.

(Alan Singer, #16000058241) #6

With charcoal canister yes, but with CRM no - looks like they want you to be a lab of some kind.

(Michael S. Gleeson, 16000070526) #7

You should be registered as a certified tester for the placement and collection of any radon measurement device. CRM, Charcoal whatever you are placing and retrieving. If you are analyzing the results and providing a report without any outside lab you need to be registered as a lab with the state. The information is not compile well there but I have read all of it multiple times and this is what they want. How to become a lab I couldn’t tell you. Likely a call to the Wadsworth Center will get you the answers.