Radon testing in wind

Just curious how others handle radon testing with high winds noted during the test with results that come back above 4.0. We are getting gusts up to 40 mph this week.

Do you just disclaim that the levels may be elevated as a result of the high winds or offer a retest for a fee or free?

if the dwelling is kept with proper closed conditions, i don’t see how an inside test is affected by winds. I wouldn’t think the wind would make a difference.

http://www.aarst.org/proceedings/1993/1993_39_Wind_Barometric_Pressure_Effects_on_Radon_in_Two_M.pdf

Thanks for the read Juan…interesting information. My training has always explained how wind affects radon levels but I never really would of though it could affect a mitigated system.

So the question remains do you attempt to have the realtor extend the contract if the radon test has to be delayed because of forecasted high winds and/or what action do you take if the monitor is already placed and there is significant high winds an results are over 4.0?

I have never run into this situation but I always tell my clients they can extend the inspection and not to let the realtor tell them they can’t.

The terms of the sales contract determines the inspection contingency period.

A short term test should not be placed during periods of unusually high winds. Is 40 mph winds unusually high in your area? I suggest consulting with your lab and they will tell you if the test is invalid or not. I have had cans out during snow storms that had to be retested and I ate the cost for the retest. All houses breathe and the pressure wind places on a home has been found to elevate radon readings.

Check this out http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/radiation/radon/realestate.htm

Troy. I know this is an old thread but I wanted to give you my input. I am in Illinois so we have our own regulations that differ from EPA or AARST. In Illinois you should not test during times of severe storms, as defined by the National Weather Service, or during periods of sustained winds of 30MPH or higher. The caveat here is that if a day hits that has high winds it does not make the test invalid if the test is allowed to run for 96 hours. The additional 48 hours allows the potential spike during the high winds to be averaged out across a longer time period, which lowers the average closer to what it would be without high winds. High winds cause pressure changes within a building and can definitely affect the infiltration rate of Radon gas.

John, if you are placing charcoal canisters for lab testing, what was the reason you had to re-test? Charcoal canisters are measured analyzed by weight. The canister is a weighed before it is sold to you. When you send the canister back to the lab it is weighed again and the weight gain is divided by the exposure time to determine your average Radon concentration. I don’t see any way you can determine a flawed test from high winds with a charcoal canister test. Using a continuous radon monitor with hourly reporting will show you spikes during periods of high winds but canisters only give you an average reading. Just wondering what the reason they gave you for the re-test? Thanks

Another thought about special conditions like high winds, hard driving rain storms, 6" more of snow during a radon test AND how they affect test results … If the buyers go ahead and buy the house and we only test on fair weather days SHOULD our buyers move out of the home on inclement weather days??