Radon testing questions for a beginner

Okay I thought he was setting it while he was there.

(This is an old thread, and I didn’t read from the beginning to post again, and I don’t recall earlier details spoken).

You must decide for yourself what actual process you are going to follow in your procedures to achieve the objective. As most of my clients are long distance, (30+ minutes away), I found that setting ahead of the inspection was most efficient for me to work into my schedule. My ‘set’ time was flexible to a point, and I adjusted the pickup time as needed, if needed. I rarely scheduled for a 12+48=60 hour (minimum) duration. Understanding that I was allowed 12+96=108 hour (maximum) duration for a RE Short-term test, (another advantage of using canisters), makes life so much easier!

JJ: If you’re regularly seeing expired CRM’s in MN, are these licensed radon testing individuals? The Dept of Health is very strict on protocols. Testing in MN is very reliable since licensing came in to existece. If you’re doing radon testing in MN, I’m sure you are very aware of what it involves to get your procedures and Quality Assurance plan in order.

I went with CRM’s because of the difficulty to develop an anti-tampering program. To use canisters would have involved added equipment to monitor for open windows, client covering the cansiter, moving the canister, spraying hair spray in to the canister… It can be done, but it sure is a hassle.

1 Like

BTW, this is the standard for testing for radon, the SOP of radon testing:
Radon Testing Standards

For the same readon it’s smart to follow a home inspection Standards of Practice, it is smart to follow a radon testing set of standards, to have a Quality Assurance Program, and operate and document within these Standards.

That is true for sure. I was audited earlier this year by the state and had to produce all of my paperwork, including my calib. certs and copies of my reports. They told me to expect to be audited every 2 years at a minimum.

1 Like

How do you know he has not had it calibrated since then? I used to send mine to B.M., they put that little sticker on it. I now send it to SunRadon. I never removed that sticker but it has been calibrated every year.