“Reattach continuity wire to meter set”

Hi all. Found this forum after a tedious search to understand an ‘inspector warning notice’ i got from the city. Just moved in last year and was left with this continuity wire disconnected. City came to put the meter and saw the wire and wrote it up. Was wondering if i could do the job myself. From what i’ve read , i need to put a clamp, with the other end of the loose wire attached, after the meter set. Not sure if theres a more specific spot to place it at. Any support would be helpful. Happy holidays.

Some may assist you here but we are not really a “Do-it-Yourself” forum.

Good Luck and Happy holidays to you and yours, too.

2 Likes

So where is the metering equipment?

Recommend: A licensed electrical contractor bond equipment properly.

Understood. Thank you.

The black box on the bottom left is the water meter. It has a wire to the reader that’s going through the wall in the picture. Reader is placed outside.

It is appears they are trying to satisfy a bonding concern. The question is, from what to what? Call the city.

The incoming water line looks to be already grounded with along tail if needed.

The city probably wants the remote reader cable reattached and run to the reader.

It kinda looks like the bonding wire has to be connected to the other side of the meter.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician and in no way do I recommend performing any repairs yourself. You should hire a qualified electrical contractor for all electrical work.

6 Likes

So? The way I read your post is that, the city wants continuity to the service meter. The EGC is in plain sight at the bottom attached to air…nothing. No main water pipe or grounding electrodes, unless they are outside.
As well, the jumper cable for the water meter is likely too small.

What’s under the plywood hatch. A catch water basin and drain?

Agree. In other words, there needs to be a “jumper” across the meter.
IMO, to be more precise, the jumper should go across the backflow valves also!

7 Likes

you sound like a home inspector :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Good narration, Ryan. :+1:

2 Likes

Normally, I am averse to giving DIY advice for electrical wiring, but this is so simple that it would be more difficult to do it wrong than to do it right.

Get a piece of #6 copper wire and two grounding clamps and put a jumper from the point nearest where the water line enters the building to the other side of the meter. Your total cost should be less than $5 and it will take less than five minutes to install the jumper.

Home Depot used to have a piece of wire and two clamps in a plastic bag for $10. At the time the three pieces purchased separately came out to about $2. Home Depot will sell you a piece of wire cut to any length you want.

4 Likes

Understood. I believe this is what the other gentleman mentioned as well. I will be doing this process. The first grounding clamp is already installed at the bottom. Looks like builder/electrician did a lazy job or forgot to clamp the other end after the meter set.

I’ll keep yall posted once I get cleared by the city. Appreciate all the responses. You guys have a great community here.

Happy holidays.

1 Like

Here’s a simplified version for your information…

3 Likes

Update. I placed one clamp right after the meter and a second toward the end. It passed the inspection. :+1:t4:

Thanks everyone for the support. Hopefully this thread helps someone in the future.

Best wishes.

2 Likes