Recessed light labels don't make sense!

Someone please help me understand the logic of this recessed light label. To me it says, “Warning: Do not install this light surrounded by insulation. But if you do install it surrounded by insulation, remove this label.”

IC Labels 003.JPG

Joe, would that not just mean if it is a rated IC enclosure, the label does not apply?

Only thing that makes sense to me.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

If the fixture is rated for an IC application, why put a label on it to begin with?

Joe, did you notice if the can was labled IC?

Maybe, it is one less step for the Manufacturer to save money on training employees to tell the difference. ha. ha.

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Translation:

“If you can read (english) and you can’t read instructions (and don’t know about installing can lights in ceilings with insulation and, therefore, have no business doing electrical) then, we, the manufacturers (or maybe just our chinese suppliers) don’t want any part of the inevitable lawsuit that will occur when this house burns down, so, PLEASE, we ask you to remove all the evidence that points to us.”

Probably one of the most honest statements I have seen on a piece of equipment.

Hope this helps. (I speak fluent weasle language :mrgreen: )

How can you tell that for sure without disassembling the fixture? Isn’t the rating on the inside of the can? Obviously, the label I included above doesn’t tell you whether or not it’s an IC fixture.

In an insulated ceiling, the light/can must be in an enclosure rated for this purpose, ie. a metal box specifically made for the light. When you remove the diffuser from the light and you see the box, you have a correct installation.

Many cans have a similar label, with the instruction to peel it off.

These cans can be used in IC or non-IC applications, depending on the lamp wattage, lamp type, and trim type. This is normally listed on another sticker inside the can, or on the manufacturer’s literature. Certain lamp sizes and trim types can only be used on these cans in a non-IC application, since they make and trap too much heat. Other lamp and trim combinations are okay for an IC application, so you peel off the warning label in that case.

Were there other labels on this can, with a chart that shows IC and non-IC lamps and trim part numbers?

Silver cans are usually IC, white cans are usually non-IC

Some more good advice here:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/electrical-systems-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/6508-can-lights.html

Here is how you tell the difference between IC and non-IC rate fixtures… it’s easy http://www.peaktoprairie.com/?D=225

Here is how you tell the difference between IC and non-IC rate fixtures… it’s easy http://www.peaktoprairie.com/?D=225 scroll down.

Wow… all that information is profoundly untrue. They might be decent rules of thumb that might apply much of the time, but it is totally bad information if you go by it all the time. Sorry. I’d edit that page, if I was you.

I’ll try to budget some time this weekend to put together a more comprehensive guide if you’re interested?

Will look forward to it…

Both you, Marc, and Kenton typically have good information to share.

Marc, it appears I’m not the only confused on this subject. I look forward to you putting together a guide. How will you distibute, do we need to keep checking this thread?

Here is a link to a UL Marking Guide that covers the questions you have, and more for Luminaries.

I hope this will be helpful.

Luminaires Marking Guide

1. TYPE NON-IC — Recessed luminaires that are NOT suitable for installation in direct contact with
    combustible materials or thermal insulation, including insulation installed over the top of the luminaire that
    entraps heat (Type Non-IC) are marked “DO NOT INSTALL INSULATION WITHIN 76 mm (3 in) OF ANY
    PART OF THE LUMINAIRE.”

2. TYPE IC — A luminaire marked “TYPE IC” may be installed where insulation and combustible materials
    are placed in direct contact with the sides and the top of the luminaire.

3. LIGHT BLINKING, THERMAL PROTECTION — Recessed luminaires provided with thermal
    protection to sense overheating conditions are marked “BLINKING LIGHT OF THIS THERMALLY
    PROTECTED LUMINAIRE MAY INDICATE OVERHEATING” to alert the user of a potential overheating
    condition.

4. INHERENTLY PROTECTED — luminaires that are intended for installation in direct contact with
    thermal insulation and combustible material, and are designed so that overheating conditions cannot be
    caused by overlamping or mislamping, are not thermally protected and are marked “INHERENTLY
    PROTECTED.”

More information here too:

410.65 Category Code: None

**2005 NEC Section ****Category Code **UL Product Category

410.65© IEZX Incandescent Recessed Luminaires DETAILS

410.65© IFAH Incandescent Recessed Luminaires, Convertible, Non-IC/IC DETAILS

Sorry for the late reply. I didn’t see any other labels. But I didn’t look inside the can at all. The ceiling was too high and I’m not taking a light fixture apart during an inspection.

Thanks for all your help.

Marc, I’d love to see what you’ve got, it’s hard to find good information.
When I was researching this, that’s the information I found. In looking at new fixtures, that’s how they were labeled. Tell me where to look and I’ll search for it.

Sorry, Kenton. I actually forgot about this thread. I think my wife’s going away this w/e, so I should have some time to put something decent together then. I’ve got this bad habit of having good ideas and good intentions that lack follow through.