repo homes

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have read how no one particularly likes to do repo homes. I have one tomorrow and one monday to do. The ones that I have been in are mainly just cosmetic items, but I was not inspecting them, I was just viewing them with my brother who was buying them. What is the story?

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Dave,

Without looking closely as like with an inspection sometimes you don't notice much wrong with these homes.

I do believe upon closer inspection you will find that many of the systems, components and sub-systems are in poor repair. When they are repaired they are usually poorly or improperly repaired because the owner(s) did not have the funds necessary to have them competently or professionally repaired.

I don't think it is necessarily that anyone does not like to inspect them, they just end up being very time consuming inspections because of the poor and/or improper state of repair of most of the house.

You have to remember that some of the people that own these homes are getting kicked out because the mortgage company is repo-ing the house so they really don't care about keeping the house is nice condition.

In the years that I have been inspecting homes I have only had to walk away from one repo. The house was in such poor condition structurally that I could not safely inspect it. Some of the floor joists were almost completely rotted away from a flooded basement, the roof structure was compromised from leaks, the carpet on the first floor was soaked with water. When you do inspect these properties you should check to make sure it is structurally sound before you do anything else otherwise you are putting your own life in jeopardy.

Dave, you should keep in mind when inspecting these houses is that the buyer(s) in most cases knows the house is in pretty bad shape so don't scare them away. If they need a new roof, just tell them what you found that led you to make that statement. Such as leaking, cupping, curling or damaged shingles. Make your statements based on facts alone and leave your personal opinions out of the report. Such as, this place is in bad shape or this place is a dump and needs a lot of work....etc.

I am glad you asked that question, so I could clarify the inspectors position when doing these types of inspections.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: dbush

As usual, thanks Joe.

![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"