Reporting Software

Originally Posted By: msaari
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey Guys,

I am getting tired of all of the game playing over reporting software and how even NACHI members are trying to make money selling there own Word document forms. It makes me sick hearing how everyone is trying to make money on this. Especially the $5.00 per report. Why let these people eat into your profits? If any of you are needing a computerized reporting form just email me and I will be happy to put an end to this game. My report may not be the best, but I like it. One thing everyone needs to learn how to use is there Microsoft auto text. Once you program your autotext reporting is almost automatic.

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: hgordon

There is a price to pay for someone else doing the work and keeping up with the updates.

I wish there were a better way to run a computer withour an operating system, or even a car with out gas...but thats the way the cookie crumbles!

What are you suggesting, that you want to give yours away for free?

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Harvey, that kinda sounds like my uncle that everyone seemed to talk so nasty about. To get him to do anything he wanted to be paid. If he bent down to pick something up he wanted to get paid. You mention updates, what updates would justify such an enormous amount of work to charge for it. Updates are once a year for 10 or 15 minutes worth of work… I dont play games, I am an honest guy with morals and I’ll tell you what, I dont cry or complain either…

Yes, my software program is free to anyone that hasnt the money to purchase a program and to help stop the reporting software scams. I hate seeing a fellow Home Inspector take advantage of a fellow Brother. Its not right....

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Is auto-text the program that takes speech and turns it into typed words?

Do you need a recorder for this?

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Kevin, no… Auto text is not speach recognition. Auto text is simple. In your word document go up to the header and right click in your tool bar area. You will see that you have a check in standard formating, forms, drawings, etc. Make sure there is a check in the autotext box. Then you will see a new tool bar on top called new. Now listen carefully, you can type what ever want. Example: Fill with polyurethane concrete masonry sealant. Then highlight the sentance, hit new, and type in any four letter word to remember what you just typed in. Example: poly. Now everytime you type in poly the word will autotext into your document saying, Fill with polyurethane concrete masonry sealant. Its that simple. Then make your self a set of cheat sheets to remember your 4 letter short cut word to complete each full sentance. Pretty cool hey? Now, help others to understand and lets stop the racheteers from selling home made reporting software.

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Are you suggesting that all the reporting options that users here use are scams? Like the previous post said reports are something you need to operate. I know how to use word, but not enough to make my reports look as professional as the service i use. Nor do I have other capabilities they offer.

I pay for the convenience, the look, the usability. Just like my website, I count it as a cost of business.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Daniel, not at all. Professional software like eye candy or 3-d is awesome software. What i dont like to see is NACHI members selling home made software using microsoft word. Thats pure greeeeed… and i dont believe in paying for on line reports at $5.00 a piece. I cant help but feel that the developer is laughing at everyone using it. Now some people ride bicycles because they dont know how to drive… (Its true) I cant help a person online learn how to use Microsoft word. But if I could, I would. We are all family here and I just dont like to see family take advantage of family. Thats my only point here. If you feel comfortable using the software your using then I am happy for you. I want everyone to be happy.

Originally Posted By: bhendry

Hi Michael,

Do you mind if I get a copy of your narrative statements? You can email to chendry@cfL.rr.com

I'm always looking for improved wording ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Thanks,

Bill

Sure William, I would be glad to send you a copy of my Home Inspection Report written in microsoft word, hand tailored for (NACHI) certified inspectors including the code of ethics and all the good stuff. LOL…

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Thanks for clarifying. As it is, I am one of those paying $5 an inspection. But I am verry happy, and have rave reviews from MY customers, so it is well worth it to me.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

I was asked the question why I have NAHI on the cover of my report and then talk about NACHI? I was asked if I had too many vodkas? LOL…

Thats not it at all… LOL… You guys kill me…!!! I had just switched from NAHI to NACHI and that report didnt reflect that change yet. Please change NAHI to NACHI on the cover if you plan on using the report…

Thank you,

Your Fellow Brother and Friend,

Michael B. Saari
Oakland Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: bhendry

Michael,

Don't take me the wrong way.... didn't intend to offend. Actually, I am sipping on my third vodka. Sorry bout dat.

I use the 3D software. Cost = a lot. It improves all the time as I improve it. I read my PDA into the main report - I'm hooked on that like phonics. In fact we worked on it this morning - somewhat stressful - but we have a better report template as a result.

Regards,

Bill

William, do me a favor and send me a copy of the software. Naturally it would be for trial purposes. I have pretty much any software package you could ever desire. Just ask… Naturally you too would want software for trial purposes.

Email me and we can talk.

Michael

Originally Posted By: jedwards

report, with no software to buy, including MS Word, which I don’t own-- RH is entirely HTML based). Bear in mind that the report fee includes storage on the RH redundant servers for an indefinite period of time. (For disclosure’s sake, I have no interest in RH except as a user.)

Like you, I'm suspicious by nature. I have a problem paying anyone for something that I think I can do myself. But when I started my HI company a few months back, I looked at about a half-dozen reporting packages, and RH made the most sense, considering my needs and my start-up budget.

My main concern is that you seem to imply that Jim and Scott are looking to rip off HI's with their service. I have *no* software or additional hardware expense (including MS Word or any other WP program) as a prerequisite to use RH. I can say from experience that Jim and Scott have been *very* responsive and accomodating regarding user requests (i.e. mine!) for improvements to the service. Add to this the fact that new users get 25 free reports (30 for NACHI members) just to try their service.

Yeah, there's plenty of charlatans out here in the vast online wasteland. But there are also those who are legitimate entrepreneurs, who have the imagination to create a useful service (which they're uniquely qualified to offer) at a fair price. My average inspection brings in $300. A RH report costs me less than it would to accept a credit card payment (which I don't).

Don't hesitate to question, but be fair in your evaluation, as well.

--
John Edwards
Assurance South, LLC home page
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: ebeahm1

Michael,

You probably know that I am doing the NACHI Makeover. Anyway, I am looking at all reporting software. If you would be kind enough to send me your report I would appreciate it very much. Please send it to:

eebeahm@bellsouth.net

Thanks, Earl

Originally Posted By: jstone

Michael,

I am new to the HI business and am just getting started. I would appreciate a copy of your report form. Send to jstonemo@comcast.net

With all of the different options to use when inspecting, I could use some help/advice on what is the best way to go. I don't want to get into on-site reporting until I have experience and have no clue which written report to use. Maybe your report will work for me.

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Most guys using a 4-6 page checklist do so because its inexpensive and easy AND they can charge less for their INSPECTION & come out.

Most guys using a Notebook System charge more and use it for marketing.

A computerized report can make a short-order hot dog vendor with sloppy handwriting, look and sound like a licensed P.E.

Dan Bowers, CRI

O.K., guys, because of the overwhelming requests for my reporting software in word format, I have decided to put it up on my website for you guys to take it when you want it.

The directions for downloading it are below.

Your inspection report has been uploaded for you.
This email is to notify you that we have uploaded your inspection report, which is named oaklandreportforweb.zip.
Please login to your account through our website (http://www.oaklandhi.com) in order to obtain your inspection report.

We have assigned you the following login information:
username: oaklandreport
password: yourwelcome

Please note that this inspection report will remain on the server for 14 days. .

I hope you all enjoy it. Its in a zip file because I didnt remove the pictures from my last inspection. After you download it you can remove the photos and make the file much smaller.

I really respect all you NACHI members and can only hope that you will all reach out and help each other instead of being so fearful or protective of your business. Life doesnt work that way. The more you help others the more that comes your way. I dont know why life works that way but it does. Try to reach out and help your fellow NACHI brothers. Thanks guys.

Your Fellow NACHI brother,
Michael B. Saari

John Stone

I hope you can figure out how to use it.

Its the same program I've been using for a long time. The more you use it the easier it gets.

But it really helps if you know how to use word. LOL

Your Friend,

Michael B. Saari

Originally Posted By: bburdick

Thanks MIke,

Will check it out…guess ya must believe in good karma for the sharing.

Bernie