Retrofit joist hangers

Hi,

Inspected a home which had these retrofit joist hangers to provide support from joists that were detaching.

Please let me know what your think.

Thanks

Those are the wrong hangers for that applications…no nails go into joists, etc.

2 Likes

As Larry said. Even though they look robust and appear to loop over the joist, they have no fasteners, improper fit etc. Even if they were fastened, I would call them out as “home made not structurally engineered joist hangers”

1 Like

Wrong…try again

1 Like

Nothing wrong with those hangers in their capacity to support any vertical loading on that floor above as far as I am concerned. May not look like the fancy 21st century hanger, but they can do the job.

Except as previously noted the joist are just resting on them, not attached to them.

What seperates you from the others in this post? I’m curious for some knowledge gain.

They don’t have to be

No need to be, there is no uplift forces in that stairwell area and no horizontal forces that I can see.
A little antiquated maybe, but nothing to get excited about. LOL

He said the repairs were for joist that were “detaching”. How can these hangers alone reattach/secure them.

Exactly! If this was an exterior deck, then this application would be incorrect.

The joists were most likely installed short and someone with no construction knowledge just assumed they were “detaching”. But then again, we would need to see the point of attachment at the other end of the joists to make a proper diagnosis.

It is worth calling out on the paint job alone. LOL!

And then there is the lack of connection from column to beam and hanging wire, etc. :flushed: :crazy_face: :joy:

Those hangers are doing nothing. They’re there for show. The joists don’t even contact, much less bear on, the saddle. They’re supporting nothing other than themselves.

They look like they were made prior to the advent of nominal dimensioned lumber. They’re both deeper and wider than the members that they’re supposed to be supporting. They don’t fit.

1 Like

The nails into the joists are in the end grain which is an inappropriate nailing location. The use of joist hangers assist in supporting vertical load & prevent twisting but also provides for appropriate nailing onto the side of the lumber instead of the end grain.

Even if vertical support is present & horizontal forces are not a factor, this application would still require appropriate joist hangers for the purpose of applying fasteners to the correct location in the lumber.

Looking at the sub floor where they used boards, I would say you did not even need joist hangers of any type unless someone was trying to fix a problem that we are not aware of and used what was available.
That looks like a 60’s build. We did not have hangers in the 60’s that I recall. :wink:

Probably some joists were separating and someone got nervous and made the hangers. It’s probably a 60’s build as Marcel says. Has been ok for 50 yrs, probably be ok for another 50 years.
Marcel, just curious, when did you see joist hangers first being used?

Joe, that is a hard one. I come from Northern Maine near the Canadian Border and Maine has always been 10 years behind everyone else from what I could tell.
I was a Journeymen Carpenter in Florida in 1970 and saw building materials down there that did not show up in Northern Maine for another 10 years. LOL
My best recollection on the use of Joist hangers wasn’t until I started building Commercial/Industrial in the mid 70’s. Late 70’s for Residential. +/-

Interesting. I worked as a die designer in the mid-70’s for a heavy metal stamper. I designed some tooling for saddle and bucket hangers for commercial use. If I recall, they were 3/16" and 1/4" thick steel. We would stamp them out and then hot dip galvanize them. They were monsters!

I am sure they were in use before I saw them Joe. Simpson Strong tie was invented in 1956, but I don’t know what year they were marketed in the public arena.