Rim board bolted to sides of block foundation

Floor system rim board for floor joists have been bolted to the sides of the foundation block wall every 16" or so. Usually the framing is rested on top of the block foundation wall, reminds me of how a deck is attached to the house. This looks OK to me, but this was a 1950 built house that has completely been redone. I guess my concern would be that there’s nothing underneath the rim board, I might of cleated a 2x6 up underneath the rim board every 8 ft. Any opinions ?? (I did see the small joist hangers)
DSCN3324 DSCN3326 DSCN3332

So the home is supported by a few dozen Tapcons?

1 Like

Yes I guess so, 1 every 16"

1 Like

I would definitely refer it out to a engineer if they don’t have any sealed paperwork from one. And, I know they won’t.

warning …danger will robinson…I can’t imagine how that could be right…

1 Like

What a frig in disaster that is.
Can be corrected with time and money though.
And why does an Engineer have to be recommended for something a standard qualified building contractor can achieve?
Seems like that is all I am seeing lately for fixes on a residential house.

I’m recommend strongbacks be installed underneath the band joist every 2-3 ft apart all the way down the wall (strongback is a beam or girder which acts as a secondary support member to existing structure, strongbacks should rest on the outside edge of the concrete footing)

I wouldn’t recommend a specific method of repair, for what it’s worth. Do you normally describe how defects should be corrected?

1 Like

What they tried to do is a technique called ledgering. It’s a legit way of installing a floor or roof plate, if done properly. This was not done properly. That would make my list of material defects, for being a structural concern. When you do ledgering, you need to make sure that the base masonry can hold the load (which this one obviously can’t), and that the ledger fasteners can hold their load. That involves calculations, since there is nothing in the IRC about ledgering floors to masonry.

Okay, a QUALIFIED building contractor.

Not all builders are as adept at remedying problems as you are, Marcel.

Why recommend anything? That is not your job unless you are an engineer or licensed building contractor

Attaching the strongbacks to the CMU’s?

Excellent advice.

Yeah Christopher, like this CMU: :flushed:

image https://global.discourse-cdn.com/internachi/original/3X/1/b/1bcecd196e93f630fb1d1b30bebcdb16314a3c74.jpeg

That’s what I was picturing Larry…just get a Big box of Tapcons…:upside_down_face:

I could not have said it better Marcel. Forgot an engineer, hell use some common sense

As a licensed general building contractor of 40 years. It looks as if the masonry block cores are not filled with cement. Also these tap cons are rated for uplift only, and to my knowledge not as a ledger fastener.
I would probably not have used this fastener as the load carrying capacity is questionable vertically. And certainly not if there is hollow core masonry block. You can never go wrong with a nice 5/8" concrete anchor into solid core masonry. Make sure that you secure the data on this product before making a comment on the method of construction.
Just my 2 cents

WOW!

And to think someone paid for that disaster waiting to happen.

And did they pull permits?

Nah, who needs permits when you’ve got a hammer and an 18 volt screw gun?

1 Like

Did you check permits for the remodel? If there were permits pulled then an Engineer had to sign off on the plans.

1 Like

The shear values of a 1/4" with a minimum embedment of 1" is1000# https://www.confast.com/technical-specifications-for-tapcon-concrete-screws ,but there doesn’t appear to be enough of them. Not knowing the span and size of the floor it is supporting. The joist hangers are undersized also.
At least they had the smarts to install the tapcons in the solid web of the CMU.