Rolled Roofing Installed incorrectly

We provided a wind mitigation with a 4 point inspection this week. The roofing company just completed the main roof with Asphalt shingles, he informed the home owner that if she didn’t redo a flat roof she would be able to get insurance. The flat roof had a metal roof that was not leaking. The roofing company stated on their contract to remove existing down to wood and install new rolled roofing, well they just installed the rolled roofing over the metal roof and not sure if they secured the under laps to the raised metal seams. Never sealed the seams and poorly installed the flashing detail where it meet the Asphalt Shingles.
Well here’s the problem, the local building building code inspector signed off on the permit. I do not believe this inspector even went on to roof before signing off. Roofing company did mention that he’s known him for 30 years. I provided a roof certification stating the roof is unsatisfactory, installed incorrectly and should be removed and installed on wood sheathing as per manufactures recommendation. Home owner refuses to pay the roofing company for this area and he’s threatening to obtain a lawyer.
Question is, should I go to the local building department and make an official complaint against this Inspector? any thoughts.

That appears to be roll roofing over a pan roof.
A pan roof would not be part of my wind mit.

1 Like

Roy,
Thanks for the reply.
The pan roof was installed over a heated area and is part of a 4 point?
But the reason for my post was the contractors installing rolled roofing over it.
Thanks again

Unbelievable.

1 Like

Yep! What were they thinking.

They weren’t. LOL

I’m not sure the insurance company would consider that arrangement as insurable ‘living space’, still the membrane over a pan roof is not considered FBC compliant.

R905.5.4Material standards.

Mineral-surfaced roll roofing shall conform to ASTM D3909 or ASTM D6380, Class M or Class WS.

R905.5.5Application.

Mineral-surfaced roll roofing shall be installed in accordance with this chapter and the manufacturer’s instructions.

I don’t think so either.

Most building departments don’t want their inspectors on roofs, and accept affidavits from the contractor. That doesn’t give the contractor a free pass, they are still required to install to code and follow the regs.

Also, I see a ladder in that 1st photo, did you walk across that pan roof?

All, thanks again for all the great information.
But, considering I’m not aware what kind of roofing system in under tha pan roof. The living space below is denfently a heated/cooled extention, not a lunai or screened in porch.
Please explain why you all do not consider this insurable? This information will help me in the future.
Thank you

It isn’t part of the main roof assembly.
It’s most likely attached to the fascia.

1 Like

Like Roy said (attached at the fascia), but you might want to look up this property at the Tax Assessor website and see what the county designates this space as on the floor plan, most likely the underwriter will.

Roy, I believe your comment “only attached to the facia” applies only to carports and or a screened Lanai?

Joseph, I believe your correct checking with the tax department and how they have taxed the living space. But if it’s a living heated area its denfently insurable?

Dominc,
No I never walked on the pan roof. That was my short ladder to look at roof termination and reach in to 1st over lap.

1 Like

Joseph,

The pan roof may have a roof over

Why are you showing us that image?

why? because looking at the fascia, it looks like the pan roof was added as a roof over an existing flat roof. The thickness of the wood farcical indicates that with the added white drip edge.

The pan roof is over that ? Wow!