Roof Designation

Hey Guys. I am in Florida where High Winds are a concern not only for the structure itself, but for insurance purposes as well. I was reviewing the home inspection report performed on a house bought by a friend of mine. The roof was named as a Gable Style. However, the house is a long rectangle oriented north-south. It is located 1 block from the ocean, which is directly south of the property. So at the north end of the house the roof is a gable, but at the south end of the house, that that faces directly into the winds and storms, the roof is a hip. How does one properly identify this roof? And why?

I’m assuming they chose to hip the south facing side of the home to battle wind driven rain and wind friction to help minimize H clip failure during an extreme weather event.

I would call it a hip/gable hybrid. Not sure if there is a specific name for it or not.

1 Like

That could be considered as a Combination.
For instance, a home could have a gabled roof with a skillion over the porch, or a hip roof with a gabled front porch, or a gabled roof with a domed cupola – or any combination of styles.

I’m referring to the state promulgated wind mitigation form.
If the total roof perimeter has more than 10% “other style” (gable-flat-etc), it is not designated as a hip roof.

Thanks guys. Marc., given the area in which the home is located I think that your call out of the wind mit form is the best guidance here. Thanks. But clearly this is, as are many others, a hybrid roof.

I also think that this is actually a little more complicated in that the hip is only over the balcony, so the hip may not have the structural strength of a true hip as this is supported on the posts alone, and then with a gable face where the hip meets the actual house structure. I think that here the hip has far less influence on distributing pressures generated during a severe wind event than if it were a true hip roof, as a portion of the wind will be directed into the face of the house and then partially directed back upward to the area where the hip meets the gable (face).

Any other thoughts are appreciated. Again thank for all the input.

Has been clipped.
Sorry, for the edit. Hip to Gable.

what the hell are you talkin’ about-DUH

1 Like

A clipped gable end forms a half-hip. What’s pictured in OP’s is a full hip end, not clipped.

2 Likes

I would think someone of you stature, Organization Volunteer Awards Committee Officer, would be able to construct a proper sentence and act professionally on the MB.
Hopefully you will learn.
Happy New Year.

Yes. I did not spend enough time looking at the image. Ops.
I edited my answer. Thanks.

Hopefully you will go away & STOP offering incompetent information to new members!

1 Like

Here comes more WAFI baloney… OMG…

New member have to learn to follow threads. It’s quite simple.
Everyone makes mistakes, as does the organization selecting Volunteer Awards Committee Officers.
Looking forward to your decommission.

Here comes more WAFI baloney… OMG…

Tell the new members what WAFI stands for and if they would use that phrase during the commission of a home inspection or when narrating ideas with like minded professions mister Awards Committee Officer?

You have proved time & time & time again why you are the ultimate and only WAFI in our community.
You even nominated someone for member of the year & then did not even vote for him.
Our current member of the year is a nice guy, but he even had enough of your chicanery. He has never put anyone on ignore, except you recently.
Congratulations you are the all time WAFI hands down.

2 Likes

Is there something wrong with your thinking process.
You are a very ugly man.
You do nothing to this organization but ad the stinking reek of tainted ethics and that’s a shame.
Good reddens when you are gone from the organization once and for all.
Personally, I recommend new members stay FAR away form any thing you do at InterNACHI as they can if they truly want to succeed.

1 Like

Mr. Cry. You to perpetuate falsehoods. Mr. Roy Cooke Senior was ashamed of you and how the awards comity managed itself at the end. Take that to the bank sir.

Hopefully one day shortly the Award Committee will be self regulated by independent at arms length members and awards members will be rotated out every several years so new members can add a since of ETHICS to this grand organization Mr. Cooke fought so hard for and rid it self of individuals like yourself and Mark Goldenberg.

1 Like

Tell the members what WAFI stands for Goldenberg. And before WAFI was WAFA.
Come one big mouth. Show some guts.

Oh Roy Cooke, the guy that was expelled from the association once.
You are next… … …