Roof geometry question

This was a home I inspected yesterday. The report has already been sent out and I am just looking for discussions.

The second question, is what type of roof to wall attachment is picture three?

On the previous wind mitigation inspection, this was a hip roof and a single wrap.

R (18) (Custom).JPG

R (17) (Custom).JPG

R (27) (Custom).JPG

Its a HIP roof with an elongated side.
I can not tell the wall attachment. I am not quite sure of your what you are asking.
Roof to wall would be balloon frame or conventionally Truss or rafter on double sill plate.

This is for a wind mitigation inspection report Robert.

Very cool problem. I would say hip with clip attachment, since it does not “wrap” over the truss. Were all of the straps like this?

That was the only strap “like that”. The rest were installed closer to the trusses.

That attachment looks to have greater than 1/2 inch spacing making it a toe nail. However, the truss appears to placed next to a girder or double truss. Can’t tell what is next to it from the pic. If it is within 5 feet of the inside or out side corner, on a hip or valley jack, it is to be ignored.

This is why I posted the picture along with the question.
That is near the rafter jack and should not be counted. However, someone told them it would be marked a toenail on the form. I told them how to correct it in the event that someone else comes out to look at it.
See picture one below.

The second and third pictures are the ones that went into the report and are two trusses away from the other one.

As for the roof, another inspector said it was a non-hip roof due to the roof not coming down as far as the rest of the roof.

R (30) (Custom).JPG

R(1) (Custom).JPG

R (28) (Custom).JPG

Eric,

The sections of the roof at both ends of the pool would be non-hip. If the length of these is less than 10% of the total roof length, it is hip. That is assuming that there are no other areas like that.

As to the strap, it can be 3 feet long but if it does not wrap over the truss and have nails on the other side, it is a clip. The strap in the first picture would not meet the requirements if is is not within 5 feet of the corner (although I would still give them credit if I only saw one or two).

Good comments Jay! On the roof shape question , looks like a hip roof with a short half gable on the cut out section. This is easily included in the percentage section of 1802.

The length of that “non-hip feature”, was 27 feet. The rest of the roof is a hip roof. The total perimeter of the roof was 274 feet.

I took the picture of the wrap in the first post that way to show the triple truss next to it. As that is next to the valley, it wouldn’t be counted. However, if someone were to take a picture of just the wrap and put that in a report, it would go from a clip to a toe nail. That is why I told the client how to fix it as it is the first clip visible in the attic.

The rest were all clips.

Although since you fall into the 10% or less with your version of the amount of non hip portion, I disagree on what you are calling non hip. The wide area of the cut out portion of the roof is still part of the hip structure. The only non hip portions are the small half gables on each end of the cut out portion. From looking at your pic I would say they are about 6 ft. in length each. Those small have gables are the only non hip sections.

Read post 6. That is what another inspector said was a “non-hip feature”.

I don’t know if I would call that little area at the end a “gable”. It was only at the right side.

I said it was a hip/clip as far as the 1802 goes.

From the same home, the sticker on the garage door.

Hurricane rated or not?

R (9) (Custom).JPG

R (8) (Custom).JPG

The entire length of the clipped gable end is NOT non-hip…only the sloped rake ends. The horizontal roof edge is hip. If this is the only non-hip sections on the roof, it is likely HIP without doing the math.

The garage door is wind-load only

Like I said, hip/clip.

Look at the stickers closely for the door. :wink:

And the question is, why would there be instructions for the door during a hurricane, if it was not a hurricane rated door?

You didn’t say that Eric, you said the entire elevation was non-hip - 27 ft. The only non-hip on that elevation is the sloped rake on the end and the sloped rake adjacent to it on the other roof line.

Look up the FL# on that garage door. Dasma 108, E330 is wind-load not impact. Some doors require the vertical bracing for wind-load approval.

Yes I did. I said another inspector included that area and that is where I got the measurements from. I didn’t bother to measure the home for the same reason you mentioned.

As to the garage door, if you look on the sticker, you will see this is a “Prisma” door. The 1385 report is not for a Prisma door. Someone put the wrong sticker on the door.
Attached is the proper sticker from the installer, EDL.

Ha, you should be a politician.

Read post 6.

As to the door, the reason I mentioned it is that in some instances, things aren’t always what they appear to be.
I told the client that something isn’t right here as this door was installed with permits and inspections. It also had the additional vertical bars. They contacted the installer and then the installer came out and put the proper sticker on, which, I had already looked up.

Reminds me of the front door you and I spoke about last week Eric. Remember the one with the lite I showed you? Well, the sticker if you remember said non-impact bu the client remembered very clearly being told by home depot when she bought it last year it was impact rated. I went out to home depot and between the associate and the store manager and myself, we finally figured it out. Turns out someone had purchased another door similar to hers only non-impact and removed the sticker and swapped it out with
her door. Fortunately they had her name in their database and immediately saw she indeed had purchased an impact rated door.

What’s disturbing is, how easily those stickers are removed from those doors and how much more easier it was for the sales associated there to reach into his desk drawer and grab another sticker and hand it to my client to now place on her door. Absolutely amazing! So as you mentioned here in your post Eric, everyone take a close look at these doors and don’t assume because there’s a sticker that says it’s one thing or another it’s final.

Bert

The other point that I was bringing up, was that some of us, go above and beyond the minimum, to help our clients. Fortunately, in both of our situations, we were able to get documentation.

Unfortunately, this lady still has to do something about two exterior doors that have no stickers. The previous wm said “all openings were protected”, which isn’t true. I told her to get me proof and I will modify the report.

And one other thing, I stated some time back that Citizens does not accept digital signatures from the homeowner on the wm. As of yesterday, either they do not want to give this client his discounts or they just don’t like me as they required my handwritten signature as well as his.

Hey Citizens, join the rest of us in the 21st century!!