Roof Height?

What is your tallest ladder you have? I have been coming across
roofs that are 30’ ft. plus and my ladder is not even close.

My tallest is 28’.

Most roofs I come across, I can get onto a lower roof and then piggyback onto the upper roof. So it’s rare that I need my 28’ ladder.

17’. If it’s taller than 1 story, I’m not climbing on it anyway.

A four foot step-ladder is all I need…
step_ladder.JPG

Joe
What do you tell your client. Do you defer the roof to a roofing contractor since you don’t go up? I do use binoculars,but there times when you can’t see the roof from ground level.

That is just my size David, I like it. :mrgreen:

Try this.… it works for me.

That used to work in my dreams as a kid too!:p;)

Ask Benwhat he uses? :smiley:

Here we go again. You ask a question and you get a comedian answer.
You need to take your show on the road.

I use a camera pole from the ladder Scan the roof with video and , binoculars Check the attic

Wayne
Camera pole? Do attach a camera to a pole and id so what do you use?
Do you have a pic?

All my reports have this statement included at the beginning of the roofing section. "If we do not walk the roof, and we are not required to do so, the limitations of using binoculars or ladders at eaves is that the upside of chimneys, flashings, dormers, etc. may not always be visible. "

If I cannot see a certain section of the roof with binoculars (say the rear), then I specifically disclaim that section of it in the report and recommend a further evaluation by a competent roofer. That practice has never been a problem for me in > 4 years and > 1000 inspections.

Just being realistic, :wink:

P.S. I’ve answered a few of the MANY questions you’ve asked over the yrs. with accurate answers, some when I was a member, and I was never once thanked for it. :shock:

Screw a 1/4-20 thread machine screw to wood screw adapter into the end of a telescoping light bulb changing pole. Drill a hole through the pole and tie a clip on there. Attach your camera and set it in video mode and extend it up to the roof. Review the video there on the spot or download it to your laptop.

I run into that situation all the time with row homes because I only carry a 28 foot ladder. Erecting a ladder any bigger than that by yourself can be dangerous. I thought there used to be something in OSHA guidelines related to the length of a ladder a single person can erect, but I can’t seem to find it. I know many fire rescue companies limit it to 28 feet because a longer ladder can get unweildy and easily get away from you.

Scott, OSHA is not specific in erecting ladders.

All they note is this, that I could find in the book.

OSHA regulation 1926.1060 provides that all employees using ladders should be trained by a competent person. This training should include:

• the nature of the fall hazards in the work area
  • correct procedures for erecting, maintaining and disassembling the fall protection systems to be used
  • proper construction, use, placement and care in handling of all ladders
  • maximum intended load-carrying capabilities of the ladders being used

Employees should also be trained to check a ladder for defects before each use and remove defective ladders from service.

:slight_smile:

Having a bad day.
BTW thanks cccurins.

Here is my modified telescoping camera.

I had an extra head off of a monopod and modified it to secure to a paint roller handle - thus being able to use the handle to screw on the end of a painters 28’ extension pole. My camera has the option for remote shutter control. This works like a charm.

Link to photo

Hey we all do, no problem. :wink: