Roof impact resistance

I have an up coming client that wants to know the impact resistance of his roof for insurance reasons. Ever heard of this??

No, Jarad, I haven’t.

Maybe ask his agent what he wants, specifically.

It could just be a warranty against hail, or such, that the manufacturer supplies.

1 Like

Hey Jarad, the below link may help with your question. You may need to advise your client to request warranty/purchase info on the roof coverings installed in order to assist with the request.

1 Like

Asphalt shingles?

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

Yes as far as I know. I haven’t been to the home yet.

https://www.nachi.org/asphalt-comp-shingles-part44-98.htm

2 Likes

Impact resistance class varies with shingle brands and models. You would need to identify the shingle brand and model if you wanted to provide that information, and you would typically charge extra for performing research not typically included a General Home Inspection.

Impact Rating

The Underwriters Laboratories provide standards for impact resistance. Hail damage falls into this category. Shingles are impact-rated Classes 1 through 4, with Class 4 shingles being the most resistant to damage from impact.

2 Likes

Thanks!!! Very helpful information.

Jarad Reddoor

Owner Royal home inspections, LLC

office@royalhomeinspectionsllc.com

Work- 319-462-3929

Cell- 319-693-1658

As Kenton mentioned… “You need to identify the brand an model of the shingle”
Good luck with that!
In more that 3K inspections I have done in just over 10 years inspecting, I NEVER found the brand or date of installation on shingles on those homes. Just not done.

Your client may be able to obtain that info from the seller, but I doubt it.

Cheers

3 Likes

That seems to be my answer, as to them getting info on roof from the sellers If they were the ones that had it installed, that seems like their best bet. Thank you for your help.

Jarad Reddoor

Owner Royal home inspections, LLC

office@royalhomeinspectionsllc.com

Work- 319-462-3929

Cell- 319-693-1658

I never did either, Doug.

3 Likes

Once in a while you find a few extra shingles in the garage or someplace and can get the info off them. Sometimes they’re unique like CertainTeed Carriage House and Grand Manor, but a good part of the time, it’s tough.

1 Like