Roof Membrane Serial Number Deciphering

Good afternoon,
I need assistance with deciphering this roof membrane serial number.
This was the only identifying information on the membrane I could locate.
Seems like 22 80 12 0602.
Any thoughts on manufacturer, age and specification would be appreciated.

Gotta ask… WHY?
What is the current condition of the membrane?
It’s birthday has zero bearing on it’s true condition.
In Minnesota, I see membranes that fail anywhere from (approximately) 5 to 25 years!
If there’s a warranty issue, the Manufactures Rep will make such true determination of age.

1 Like

It’s prob EDPM membrane, but more pics would help

1 Like

Fair question and if simple curiosity is the answer, that’s fair enough, too. Otherwise, the answer is unlikely to be material to our observations.

2 Likes

Pun intended? :wink:

I suspect there is more to the question than he posted, (given his inferred experience)…

1 Like

I concur.

EPDM Date Codes

2 Likes

Here’s the newer Firestone roof stamp coding:
3280317 60EPDM

328th day of the year
Manufacturing plant location 03
Year 2017
60 mil EPDM

For folks that found this thread through a search, the code stamp the OP originally posted is for a Carlisle EPDM roof. Here’s how Carlisle breaks it down:

First 2 digits are the month: “12” = December
3rd digit is the plant: “4”
4th and 5th digit is the calendar day: “02”
6th and 7th is the product: “FR” for fire rated
8th and 9th is the year: “AF” which is 2016 (A=1, B=2, …J=10)
060 = 60 mil thick

8 Likes

Hi all,

Thank you for your input and help.
I wrote my previous post in haste therefore the limited background.
I’ve encountered the Firestone and Carlisle/Greenville codes before but didn’t recognize the one I’ve posted, and given the lack of manufacturer identification on the membrane was hoping somebody here might be familiar with this format. Perhaps a different mfg so I’ll follow up with Holcim, Johns Manville etc.
I also reached out to a technical rep I’ve worked with in the past and will share the outcome here.

Jeffrey, we typically reference membrane ‘birthdates’ not as much to determine condition or life expectancy but rather to get a better picture of how the date may relate to other components, building history and other factors we consider. Feel free to reach out directly to discuss process/rationale. Happy to continue the conversation.

Thank you all again for your input - it is helpful to have so many different/experienced eyes and minds.
I’ll keep you posted.

1 Like

Hi Gerhard, Wondering if you ever found who produce that EPDM membrane and what did the code mean? I have the similar situation.

thank you in advance.