Roof questions

Hi

Ok i am looking at holmes inspection on tv. i have a question:

they are re-sheeting a roof over the dry roted, original one. is this ok? i mean…i don’t want to sound like an idiot but… doesn’t make sense to me

can a pro elaborate on this pls.

Holmes is not an inspector. He only plays one on television.

believe me if there is something i do know (100000 threads on holmes in this forum) is he is not an inspector…still…about the roof?

If it’s the show I saw part of tonight, the dry rot was not that bad so it wouldn’t be a problemas long as the framing was not rotted. You probably saw more of the program than I did and may have seen worse…I was at the computer, sneaking peaks at the TV, trying to finish a report for government on 21 homes I inspected for them. Got to get the $$$$!!!

The program on HGTV usually repeats once or twice into the late night. I may see it again and comment again.

I was told that on one program where he was building a fence showing people how to build it in sections got some built some installed .
Had enough footage for the program and just said thats all folks you got the lumber we are out of here and away they went .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Welby,_M.D. he was not a Doctor Just play one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Mason not a lawyer just played one

Mike Homes just plays at being a builder ,

imo…dry rot will deteriorate…and adding new sheeting on top of the dry roted one’s is not structutaly …sane…imo

you there Marcel? (lol)

“Dry rot” was once damp or wet rot from condensation or leakage. Once the moisture problem has been corrected and the wood has has dried, no more rot will occur.

People find the rot in a dry condition and assume it rotted that way. They got to understand the rot process!!

I agree with Brian, if your moisture meter shows dry and it’s not structural, protect the area with new sheeting, shingles and should be ok. Have not seen the show myself and will check it out.

From what i saw, the time and material to change it out would have been easy to do. Why not, they are already at it?:roll:

And if it was “not that bad”, how long would it have taken?

Correct me if I am wrong ,but I think Patrick is picturing this like someone laying new linoleum tile on the old,brittle ,laying in pieces tile of a kitchen floor.

yep…loll

It’s my ‘‘aerospace way of thinking’’,lollll

to me it’s like this:
If it’s structural , and its molecular structure as been modified or is not in its original condition, it will be problematic in the future

So we have wood, wood that was once wet and rotted, now, the rotted wood is dry…but still…it’s rotted

Sorry I’m doing my best to explain the way i think…not easy when you’re french…loll

You are doing just fine, and I agree 100% with you. :smiley:

I wonder how many HI’s would have done it this way on their own home? :roll:

Well, maybe I don’t want to know! :shock:

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~gbarron/MISCELLANEOUS/jan01.htm

You can fall through it, by just leaning against it!

Have seen a similar article about this rare “dry rot” species. Still needs the water to grow and have not seen any signs of it in my area.

Here’s the rub:

Two years ago, did a litigation consult on a 7 month old $800 grand house with some serious rot going on. Brought in a Phd mycologist to indentify mould in case we went to court.

His recommendation was to cut back at least 2 feet from the last point of visible mould as the microscopic rhizomes can be far into the wood but you can’t see them. With new moisture, they will start to grow again.

With formerly wet, now old “dry rot” in the roof sheathing, cutting back that far gets us into the the rafters and trusses. Do we have to start replacing them if no rot appears in them but the rotted sheathing touched them or was within 2 feet of them?

If the rare “Serpula” species is found, how far back do we remove the wood? many meters?

from the University of Dundee:
http://www.trp.dundee.ac.uk/research/glossary/dryrot.html
"If timber components are kept dry ie there is no abnormal ingress of water into the building either in the form of rainwater or excess humidity, then they will be stable for long periods of time. However, excess moisture can allow the colonisation of timber by wood decay fungi, notably by organisms causing wet and dry rot. Wet rot is a generic term which covers decay ocurring in very damp conditions, eg by rot caused by the organism Coniophora puteana (often referred to as cellar fungus) identified by dark brown threads spreading over the surface of the timber. Dry rot is caused by Serpula lacrymans which is generally considered to be more dangerous than wet rot fungi, since it is less easily controlled by drying regimes. However, as for all wood decay fungi,* it cannot operate in dry wood and removal of excess moisture from timber is the only long term method of control****.** Both wet and dry rot are types of “brown” rot, so called because ultimately the timber becomes a brown and dry dust. *

About - Compass Dermatology
***"***Dry rot (Serpula lacrymans):

Almost certainly the most ‘feared’ of the rots, and sometimes called the ‘cancer of a house’. However, like ALL wood rotting fungi, it requires water to become initiated, to grow and survive.

Dry rot is restricted to damp humid conditions; this makes it sometimes very difficult to find.

Dry rot has the ability to grow over and through materials from which it gains no nutritional value, eg, soil, plaster, mortar. BUT IT CAN ONLY DO THIS EFFECTIVELY IF SUCH MATERIALS ARE DAMP - IT WILL NOT GROW OVER AND THROUGH GENUINELY DRY MATERIALS!!. Thus, if there is dry rot in, say, flooring timbers it will not grow up through the masonry of the walls and effectively rot the rest of the house if such walls are dry."

“The term “Dry Rot” is a misnomer because the attack normally occurs only in damp situations, usually because of accidental conditions of moisture. Permanent wetness rarely causes Dry Rot, but if the wetness is sporadic, as would be the case from faults in the rainwater system, leaks from the internal plumbing, bridging of, lack of, or a defective damp proof course, it is then that Dry Rot is likely to occur.”

Havent seen the episode but I should have it on my PVR. I am surprised that holmes would sheet over deteriorated sheathing though. If I was the inspector and I climbed into an attic full of dry rot sheathing on the bottom side of the roof, I wouldnt be too happy about it… Holmes is always complaining about layers of shingles, IMO, a layer of deteriorated sheathing is even worse! I would be calling it out fursure. Wood that has dry rot has lost its integrity, how are the fasteners of the new sheathing going to perform when they are passing through a layer of dry rot. Think it might turn into a wavy roof or loose and high sitting nails? I think thats a joke… how long does it take to pull off some garbage wood with a team as large as holmes…

exactly.

BUT

Kate Campbell is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo freakin’ hot
(totally off course on this one…lolll)

Here ya go Patrick…
http://celebritycaps.blogspot.com/2009/06/kate-campbell-cleavage-holmes-on-homes.html