Holmes Inspection

Nice TV program on getting a Contractor in to do an inspection.

Nice to see that the clients trusted a Contractor that is not a Contractor and not a Certified Home Inspector. According to the Holmes Inspection HGTV show the Contractor did not check the attic and did not even have a ladder! It is interesting to see that they again took in a Contractor that still does not know how to do a Home Inspection according to any standards today.
I did see some major work done on this place and wondered why the same Home Inspector got the Job of doing all the work in this home. :mad:
Maybe I am in the wrong business but the most I could make on this home is about 500+HST.:roll:
I should mention that if I found mold like substance of this nature plus the smell I would tell my client to run away as fast as they can. The cost would have been only 100+HST.

Frank, the electrician recommended that the entire panel be replaced because it was “old and flimsy”. Perhaps I should add this to my narratives right away.

Link.

Joseph:

A good link to add to this thread. Thanks for the info.:smiley:

Indeed. They’ll be naming hospitals after me.

I watched this one last night. First mistake was by the buyers who said they paid the contractor and “expensive case of beer” for the home inspection. Usually you get what you pay for…
They also used wording like getting the house to be "free from mould " or “zero mould”, which is not possible.

At a yard sale this morning I found Mikes Book Make it right
( list price $24;95 ) I got it for three Dollars ($3;00 )

When I got home I found out I paid Way to much No information in this book …
. Any one can have it pay the postage … Roycooke@hotmail.com

Mikes Book.jpg

The postage will be more then the book is worth:mrgreen:
Ken

Don’t forget guys!

He came to my city and decided to endorse a 2 year “Home Inspection Technician Diploma.” I am still in touch with the 2 students taking this class.
Time will tell what path they will be taking.

This evening Mikes Homes show 6 year old Home . WOW ! blame the inspector non stop .
Said nothing about the Builder .
I saw things Mike missed like spindle gap like opening in Stairs +++ . I also saw a disclaimer soft colours and 3 seconds to read it .
I was recording it and had a hard time to get it on the TV see picture below .
Mike sure likes to blame bad buildings on the Homies .
I have no idea what if any thing that the Homie missed .

I recently watched one of Mike Holmes’ TV tirades about home inspections. I would like to meet the producer who is filming this scripted nonsense. The show is certainly doing more harm than good, because it raises unrealistic consumer expectations about home inspections in general.

Most of the defects and shortcomings exposed in that particular episode came to light after the** “muscleman in overalls” **had completed his **demolition derby. **The episode clearly demonstrated that many of the shortcomings became visible only after Holmes’ had completed his destructive investigation.

The segment has also purposely ignored that many of the revealed shortcomings should never have passed interim or final inspections by the building officials during construction in the first place.

The day will come when one of Holmes’ own home inspectors - who are working in the real world - will be dragged into court to explain why they have failed to identify concealed defects their boss likes to expose and dramatise on television.

The irony is that Mike Holmes - the clever promoter - was once wined & dined, and handsomely paid to become the praised keynote speaker at one of CAHPI’s National Conferences.

I can’t believe the Home Inspector from today’s episode completely MISSED the fact that the floor slab in the basement required injections to fill the voids from settlement cracks. Let that be a lesson to you all: if you see ANY settlement cracks in a floor slab in the basement, you are not doing your job if you don’t recommend a full scale injection to prevent the house from collapsing.

Gee am I missing some thing all the homes I have seen the Basement floor is Poured after the Footing and out side supporting walls are up .
… Roy

The floor slab in the basement is NOT a structural component. So how can it possibly contribute to house colapse?

I can’t believe the Home Inspector from today’s episode completely MISSED the fact that the floor slab in the basement required injections to fill the voids from settlement cracks. Let that be a lesson to you all: if you see ANY settlement cracks in a floor slab in the basement, you are not doing your job if you don’t recommend a full scale injection to prevent the house from collapsing.

The floor will collapse without injection?? Are you trying to promote this? Do you do epoxy injection ? I have never seen it done on a floor …sorry. What about using PL premium on every wall stud and beam and joist while we are at it! Mike would love that!! Done Right! :twisted:

Screws cannot be used on joist hangers either unless they are tested for this application. Check the codes once and awhile. They glue and screw everything on the show.

I generally watch the first 15 minutes of the show - when everything he talks about is untouched and visible and still making sense…but once things get torn apart it is no longer about the reality of home inspections and the additional finds always feel like cheats to me.
A previous comment that he raises unrealistic consumer expectations is dead-on the money!

I agree Jody, Welcome to our forum. Please do not stay away so long till your next post… All the best… Roy

Ahah Randy!! I see where you got the idea about injecting the floors…it was on Holmes inspection on the weekend! They claimed that in walking around on the cement floor Mike’s side kick (BB) said he could hear the floor sounded hollow so he started tapping it with a hammer. This was considered dangerous because if the floor dropped at the furnace the gas line could come apart and blow up the house! Oh My!

They called in a crew to inject epoxy in the floor all over the place as they figured that the ground wasn’t compacted under the cement and it settled leaving the void. And you would as Mike mentioned also get the thermal break that he talks about…allot!

Since when is tapping the cement floor part of a home inspection?

Every home builder would be out of business because I am quite sure that when they dig out the foundation …some spots may be deeper than others so they have to fill…they are supposed to compact but how often does that happen?

The slab is supposed to be poured on undisturbed soil …next thing you know we will have to carry out some kind of echo/resonance testing on basement floors…maybe an echo cardiogram! :twisted:

Who’s up for marketing such a device!!:roll:

Surprised the Alberta govt. didn’t throw this in their Hommie requirements!:wink:

:D:D