Roof to wall

You may not be able to move mountains, but, perhaps supply a ladder up the mountain! :wink:
I am curious more than anything else, what the rating actually is. I have been in contact with one of the Simpson reps regarding a whole host of issues that they have with the OiR, because in some instances, the home owner can’t understand why his roof to wall connection is code compliant, yet he isn’t getting the credit he deserves.

This happened with the Sanibel straps.

I know what it is as far as what the form says, but that may not be correct.

http://www.uspconnectors.com/hlpta75.shtml

codes: Dade County, FL 03-0508.04, FL1247, FL2621

All well and good.
But the form does not ask any of that and they have no way to put it into their systems AND most importantly they DO NOT want you to get discounts.

SUCKS BUT TRUE.

They will simply say we give discounts for what is on the for and what the OIR says we must.

Common sense has NOTHING to do with it.

If they were decent moral folks they would do what is right but you are not dealing with individuals.

Example if you were dealing with Mikes insurance company and I insured you with my money and I saw it was good then I would feel obligated to give a discount. There is no one person that says hey thats not right. The CEO sure does not give a crap about their customers.

None of that exists with ANY insurance companies.

In order to try to right a wrong, and there are others, the strap that comes out of the wall with nine nails in it has the same uplift resistance as a double wrap, for instance, you have to start somewhere.

******** about it does nothing…

Back to the pool… :smiley: :smiley:

I agree and always try to right the wrongs when I see them with NOA’s Big bold red notes, asking them to call if they have questions etc… IT HAS YET TO WORK.

Back to bringing my 2 favorite girls lunch at the pool next door.

I maynot have one but at least my good AND GONE neIGHBOR DOES.

oNE POSITIVE THING i CAN say is I live in a GREAT neighborhood. I never thought that would matter to me until I moved here. I guess water folk are just different :slight_smile:

The HLPTA75 clip has a 2125# uplift, whereas the HTA standard single wrap has about 1600# uplift. There is very little difference in discounts to the insured between clip and single wrap.

The Sanibel DOES get the double wrap discount if you can show that it is fastened to the wall with at least 3 nails on each side. This is not always possible to determine and defers to “other” if not verified.

I have said this before…keep it simple. If we have to look up the uplift rating on each kind of connection (for no real good reason), then we would have to charge as much as you do…lol.

Brad

I agree with you, keep it simple and I told my client, this is going to be rated a clip as far as a wind mit goes, and I can’t change it…for now. :wink:

But, I truly believe, and I am sure others do as well, that the rating should be based on uplift, not in the number of nails or any other method that has been devised by the Oir.

Added with edit…Back to the pool… :slight_smile:

Should be could be.

BUT

Won’t Be.

Guaranteed.

As a friend of mine who is vice president of sales at a large printing company says, you will never get the job, if you do not ask for it.

True but it sure gets tiring and expensive asking, Especially when acting as a contractor and the person who wants the job done no longer supplies any plans and wants the proposal in a week. The printing companies are likely doing much better now days as everyone who wants to bid a job has to deal with and pay them for the plans. It used to be you went to the builders office and they GAVE you the plans that they printed in house for the proposal they wanted. Now they do not even do that. To bid a regular Stucco project with 3 or 4 models and around 2 to 300 homes cost at least $400.00 just for the privilege to give them a price when most of the time they are just using your to keep their guys that give them kickbacks and such as low as possible. The builders straight up tell their main guys what everyone elses number is and says beat it by 10% shady as hell and screws all tradesmen. Oh well time to find another game.

Just saying.

The construction world is in a world of hurt right now for the tradesman or the Mom and Pop orgs. I NO NOT PREDICT IT WILL EVER SWING BACK TO THE WAY THAT WAS BEST FOR HOMEOWNERS AND TRADESMEN. Just my opinon but I have just a little experience in the fiels :frowning:

The major builders only care about price now when they used to take quality and service as the most important things.

One would get a job based on how well they did it and how well they serviced the client.

IT IS NO LONGER THAT WAY.

The homeowner is the one who suffers.

The Major builders have the deepest pockets and will fight bothe the tradesmen and owners and often win because they can afford the best representation.

It is a sad time to be in the new construction field :frowning:

Just curious, why do we have verify the nails at the bottom ends of a Sanibel strap that are often times not visible- but dont have to verify the nails at the bottom end of a clip that is also not visible?

I could give you the answer…but it might upset the insurance spies that look in!

I guess they would like to assume some things, instead of actually using factual data.
“We will assume that the straps,clips, whatever, were installed correctly, however, we will overlook the ratings and use our own system to determine their classification.”

Steve, did you get my e mail Thursday? The latest letter?

Simple…That is what the form says, and that is what the underwriters go by. I agree, it is kind of silly. Who would install a strap without fastening it to the wall…

Brad

Yes. Thanks.