Roof Valley Installed Correctly?

hello. I did an inspection today and saw this roof closed-valley. It didn’t look right to me, but I wanted to check with more experienced eyes. If also should have kickout flashing at the end so that water can’t leak into the space between the vertical framing material and the horizontal plane of the roof, correct?
Thanks

It’s a California cut valley. Some mfrs say OK, some not. The only thing I can tell for sure from your photo is that the line should be 2 inches above the center line of the valley. Other common defects with these installations is having the shingles lapped improperly (larger slope with greater water volume should be on top). The shingles should be bonded in the valley. Can’t use this technique with 3-tab shingles.

Whether a kickout is needed or appropriate cannot be answered from this photo.

2 Likes

I usually step on them to see if metal valley flashing has been installed …If yes! It’s all good.

1 Like

The first photo shows a roofer beginning the California cut valley.
The second photo:
Left side- shows the underlying shingles installed parallel to the valley centerline. Notice that the shingle he is installing is offset from the valley center like Chuck mentioned.
Right side- shows an easy way to recognize a California cut valley by the little triangular section at the bottom of the valley.

1 Like