Roofing checklist

An investor that I have inspected several properties for recently had 6-8 of his properties re-roofed with 20 yr, 3-tab, asphalt shingles (probably Owens-Corning but that is to be determined). All properties are 4:12 to 6:12 slope. Before he proceeds with other properties, especially a large apt complex, he would like an independent opinion as to the installation quality of the roofing contractor he is using. My plan is to use the attached checklist for each property to judge the installations. Are there other items I should include? FYI, I’m in central Texas therefore ice/snow protection is not an issue.

Roof checklist.pdf (132 KB)

Maybe add the shingle style…3-tab 20yr. …architectural…?

1 Like

I might include style of roof, type valleys but otherwise it looks pretty inclusive.

Exposure of shingles (5 ½” typical)
Proper nailing, not over or under driven (just below tar strip)
Proper shingling at penetration flashing (lower shingles go under flashing)

…and here are reference sites: http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/roof/maintenance/reshingle/install_1/asphalt_1.htm

http://www.certainteed.com/CertainTeed/Pro/Builder/Roofing/Installation/Shingles/

And another:
http://www.askthebuilder.com/B148_Asphalt_Shingle_Installation_Tips_.shtml

All great inputs…I’ll add/change the checklist to include those suggestions.

One other note…as I was looking at the Owens Corning warranty and talking to a guy at Lowe’s ( I know, I know…that’s why I’m asking here :stuck_out_tongue: ), he led me to believe that the major shingle mfg warranties were not valid if the shingles were installed over OSB. That was somewhat of a surprise to me. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

I doubt that sincerely. We’ve used it for years and never had a comment like that. There is nothing wrong with OBS as long as it stays dry. :wink:

I would add roof penetrations such as plumbing stacks and how they are flashed, also what about skylights/flashing?

I love skylights .
But in most cases it is not a case of is it going to leak but when is it going to leak.

…Cookie

You may be interested in offering unique services to your client. We developed a new MoistureFree Certified Roof Inspection Program. It trains you on the correct installation methods and how to inspect roofs after they been installed. With that, only a MoistureFree Certified Inspector can approve the roof for our up to 15 years of warranty protection.

You can market these credentials to others in your market which will differentiate your services.

check out www.moisturefreeinspections.com

Michael,

Nice doc. overall :cool: I believe you have covered most of the details to properly inform your client or draw provider

Does red X mean repairs required and green Check mean OK (identify)?

I break attic venting into categories soffit, static roof, turbine, gable, and continuous ridge and note location and number of units present. Usually take an identification photo or embed diagram of each type too avoid calls.

You’re probably aware of this from TDI, may or may not apply to location or what their expectations are of you http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/wind/documents/2006_Texas_Revisions1.pdf

I would also furnish my client this info if project(s) require so they can coordinate with the roof contractor http://www.dryflekt.com/

Around here on re-roofs it is common for guttering to be removed, disconnected, altered, misaligned or damaged.

Would this lie within the scope of your work? If not is this spelled out?

My plan is to use a paper copy of the form to make notes on while at the site. I’ll use the red X and Green check to copy/paste where needed on the electronic form I plan to send the client. So, the check and X you see on the form are only there for ease of use when copying.

I do plan to take a photo but I’ve been thinking that for the purpose of this particular set of inspections then I would simply let my client know that the ventilation appeared adequate without burdening him with too much detail.

Since we are not located in a Tier 1 zone then I had not planned to reference this. I will however re-read those reg’s and make sure there is nothing I need to convey to my client.

Good point, I’ll include their brochure pdf in my report.

I’ve added a section on gutters to my form.

Thanks for the input…I appreciate it.

The NRCA makes a statement that Plywood is preferable due to concerns with OSB longetivity, but does not specifically exclude its authorized usage.

As far as shingle manufactureres, they either defer to the APA, NRCA a or ARMA in generalities. Many warranty issues seem ambiguous, and may be open to interpretation, conveniently to suit the manufacturers preservation and not the shingle warranties.

Ed

This is what I altered may or may not be useful

http://www.pws.gov.nt.ca/pdf/publications/Roof-Inspection-Checklist.pdf

Since you include a determination if the shingle is porperly fastened to the deck I’d probably put a line identifying the slope since proper fastening is effected by a regular or high slope comnditon.

But it looks like a firly decent checklist. Already filing the serial numbers off for my files.

Thanks

Yes, I suspect that is true. I did talk to the Owens Corning Technical Support group this morning and they said the use of OSB as decking is perfectly fine and does not void the warranty.

Done

Cool, I copied that and will make sure my mini-checklist covers the main points of that one as well.

Here are my final versions of the checklist, one is a pdf file and the other is a Word file.

Roof checklist.pdf (142 KB)

roofing_checklist.zip (61.7 KB)

Also, on a reroof. How many layers present? Removed or not? Reason for reroofing? Appearance - Sagging - Uneven joints - Roof to wall junctions

Hi…I am planning to build a small house at my farm,That area is very beautiful,Can somebody please suggest me about metal roofing? I want metal roofing for my new house, and please suggest me good roofers near New York…

You can know more about Austin roofing or Texas roofing.

Me thinks you need to reread some work.
Investigate the installer, then determine the apropreate shingle.

He’s just spamming his company…

Jeff