Roofing....

Hi Inspectors,

This house was built in the late 50’s. What do you guys think of the 1x6’s in the photos. I this O.K. for when this was built? Or should it be 2x4’s?

100.jpg

100_2809.JPG

Were there any issues? The house is around 50 years old.

No issues (other than patchy insulation)…It was re-roofed, because there were 3 layers on it before.

gbrasseur

Having constructed framing of the such in the early 60’s myself with my Father and considering your statement that their was no issue and the fact that it held up three layers of roofing, I would sincerly say that this structure is absolutely fine.
But of course, I am not looking at the whole picture on this post.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Since they’re transferring roof load downward they should bear on a wall… but if it’s been there 50 years and the ceiling’s not sagging… no problem.

I think that 50 years ago the lumber was most likely true 1x and not 3/4 like it is today. I have recently come across lumber that has been again downsized so now 2x8 are no longer 1 1/2 x 7 1/2 they are down to 1 3/8 x 7 3/8. If this keeps up the drywallers are not going to have anything to nail to.
Larry

Judging from how close to the peak they are connecting, I would say they are not so much transferring the load down from the roof but rather hanging supports for the ceiling. Thus they would not need to bear on a wall.

Their stress is more tension rather than compressive.

Somehow 50+ years with no issues indicates to me that the structure is built pretty well. Recommending anything to “improve the structure” will certainly set off a firestorm. :cool:

The roof Rafter span is probably the key to this issue.
From the looks of the photographs, it doesn’t look like you have much of a span that would require these supports for the roof anyway.
As posted (and is always my belief) if it’s been around and functioning properly without issue, what’s the issue? :slight_smile:

Well said guys! Thank you for your confirmations :slight_smile: