Sagging Roof

I’ve made a few post already on this house I had yesterday, however, I wanted to see if I could get some sound advice on how to describe the concerns I have with the roof structure. Again, the house was built 1948 and later moved to this location. I don’t have any specifics as to when it was moved there. In the photo looking across the roof to the chimney, you can see the obvious sagging in the roof. In the photo looking at the chimney from within the attic you can see a lot of patch work. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Please be patient with me as this is actually my first official inspection (other than the 4 mock-up ones that I had to do to become a member on this organizaton).

Regards,

Steve :shock:

Stephen,

From your sideways photo of the attic it appears that the roof sheathing is old cedar shake. Is that right? If so, it will give a deflected appearance to the composite 3-tab roof covering overly and you do need to disclose this to your client. The bracing appears suspect and the wood slats do appear excessively deflected also.

Yes, it is cedar shake beneath. However, wouldnt the construction using 2 X 4 rafters @ 16" on centers over a 28’ span with the additional supports added be a concern? I’m attaching another photo from the opposite of that same roof that is adjacent to where that chimney was.

Regards,

Steve

Yes, The deficiencies include inadequate roof structure support suggested by an excessively deflected roof covering. The cedar shake sheathing with a 3-tab composite overlay.

Got it. Thanks for the help. I think I can take it from here.

Regards,

Steve

don’t forget about the step flashing and counter flashing needed for the chimney…otherwise you will be getting a call when it starts to leak.

Another fine job done by Hackers R Us.

regards

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I actually caught this one in my report already. Wow, what a way to start out. That is, inspecting a house that’s 61 years old right out of the gate.

Regards,

Steve