Saddle valve on galvanized pipe?

Originally Posted By: rmoore
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ve never seen this done before…and didn’t know you could pierce galvanized pipe with one of these.

Although it didn’t appear to be leaking at the time, it has obviously seen better days. It seems to me that the hole would gradually rust out and prevent the valve from shutting off the supply, not to mention leakage problems.

Fortunately(?) piping is going to need to be replaced. Functional flow in this house was fun...turn on the tub faucet and anything else in the home became nothing more than a dribble.

Comments?
![](upload://hczzuswN8G1Hj2DYzQKv4rNsvX4.jpeg)

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Richard,

I can't believe that one of those fittings could make it through a thick wall steel pipe, hell they struggle to get through copper !!
I bet whoever fitted that had to pre-drill the pipe first, it's like Robert say's It's amazing how much effort goes into doing stuff wrong ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: kluce

That’s what was done. Shut the water off and drain water to that location. We drilled a hole and installed the saddle valve. I never seen a saddle valve needle go threw steel pipe.

I must say that I do not like these valves one bit. I don't know how many I had to change because they wouldn't shut the water off all the way when we worked on Humidifiers. I think a standard valve should be installed, especially when it comes to new construction.

Just my two cents. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)