Sample Report (1.5 years later)

So, it’s been a year and a half since I opened up and are miles from when I first started in my report writing. Thanks to @bhull1 for sending me some stuff to help out with my introductions in the report. I can’t thank him enough! That being said, 1.5 years later, here is a sample report of a property I inspected a few weeks ago, obviously with redacted information to protect my clients info.
I’m not hard headed, I’m very open minded so if there is something that you think might add value to my narratives, reports, organizations, I’m all ears!
Thanks guys!

2 Likes

Jacob, I didn’t read the whole report but the 1st thing that jumped out at me was your phone #. It will be easier to read if you break it up like Rachel’s…(907) 521-8635 instead of 9075198522.

Great attitude!:

2 Likes

Buyers and agents would find it helpful if the summary listed ALL the defects rather than wading through the full report. They will want to create a list from which the agent and buyer will decide what to negotiate. In your report you have to read the entire report and if you didn’t make a list as you read (expecting to find one in the summary) you have to go back and do it again. Summaries don’t need pictures, just reference the page where the pictures are.

4 Likes

DAMNIT! Why is her information there… I’ll get to working on it right now.
Thanks for the tip too! I’ll fix my number.

1 Like

Spectora automatically organizes the deficiencies in the full report on the website where the report is already at. This is just a sample report.

Have to agree with Bob. My guess is 90% of the clients don’t bother with reading the whole report. They usually skip to the summary which, in my report software, addresses issues and deficiencies in the summary. It makes for a clean report, but I always advise the the client to to read the full report.

1 Like

What if they choose just to save a copy in PDF?

I still find to this day a lot of people do, including Agents, even though I use homegauge and reports upload in HTML similar to spectora.

Also, I got to page 11 before the report even got started.

I do the same. Thanks for looking at it.

1 Like

Yeah there is a lot of information in the begging. All valuable though! Honestly, it’s mostly to protect myself. Basically it says READ THE FULL REPORT. Lol

Here you go, and other inspectors will have difference in opinion

But first, all the CYA in the beginning is overwhelming. Why not just provide the link to the SOP? Or in your inspection agreement, have it covered there?

Recommend a Home warranty? Why not flood insurance? Valuables? Security system, Etc.? Too much information.

To the details-
1.I think clients would like to know the age of the HVAC, Water heater along with the expected useful life span.
2. Super long narratives-you may consider economizing a bit if possible. Example: Trip hazard - Safety-location-repair. Gutters needed-further damage may occur-correct. Roof leak-location-further damage may occur- repair. (all by qualified contractor of course)
3. Was that electrical panel locked or have a tamper resist seal by utility company?
4. Fire separation? what was wrong with it? Could you determine thickness of the drywall? Other issue?
5. Kick out flashing diverts water away from the sidewall, not from behind the cladding.
6. Ice on gas meter? How would you remove it? Flame? Caustic chemicals? Is it a defect? I don’t know, I am in Georgia.
7. HOA responsibility? Unless you read the bylaws, just call it out to be repaired.
8. Is 100 amp really undersized for this building? Pretty common in condo’s.
9. Faulty wiring at receptacles. True, but I would define it…open ground etc.
10. Your fireplace size and your hearth requirements did not add up to me.
11. Probing moisture meter can cause damage, I would not show pictures of me poking holes in anything.
12. Sill plate wood deterioration. Do not monitor. Replace.
14. Report damaged to cabinets. Move on.
13. What year was the home built? GFCI, ARC fault, carbon, smoke are all recommendations to be accomplished by an electrician (no DIY) and are considered upgrades depending on year built. I recommend these things for additional safety because they may not have required at the time the home was built.

Realtors want printable summaries of defects so they can write up an amendment to address concerns. Though the realtor is not your client, they are often your referral source. It took me a long time to read that report and even longer to determine what should be repaired.

You do not really have to answer any of these question here. They are for you to ponder and regard or disregard. And on an upside, you really dug into that home good! Awesome!

3 Likes

Jacob,
Awesome job. You found a lot of issues and that is going to protect your buyer. You are doing great.
Opinions will vary about the length of narratives and how to classify certain findings. I think there is a lot of great advice posted by these guys who commented earlier.
But, Man you are doing a great job. That’s a very comprehensive report with good photos and clearly written narratives.

Some guys might not be familiar with Spectora. The web version is very simple to use and the user can select summary or complete report with the click of an icon. I think many realtors and even buyers will use this feature.

Keep up the good work.

I’m sure your customer, Peyton Manning, will love his new home. He is one of Knoxville’s favorite volunteers.

4 Likes

You are right, I thought this was the end version. I think you may have linked one of your reports in the past, I cannot find it now. Do you have a web version sample?

see if this link works for you

https://www.spectora.com/home-inspectors/knoxville-engineered-home-inspections/sample_report?sample_id=5287

In hindsight, I should have made the warning about the low handrails a little more severe. The buyer was a 6’10" professional basketball player. :basketball:

2 Likes

Good job. I see one thing one page 5 there is just one sentence and a bunch of white space. That should be eliminated on the previous page somehow, maybe less space between paragraphs. Is that a hornets nest under that deck on page 19?

1 Like

I recommend a home warranty because we live in Alaska and there are a lot of things that can’t be inspected during the winter time. It would be smart to get a home warranty when you’re buying a house where things aren’t inspected.

I like to explain deficiencies where there is a clear explanation, not a simple “it’s wrong fix it.”

It was locked by the utility company.

I bring this to my clients attention because they don’t pay attention to this. Unless they’re fully aware of what this actually means, they’re buying a house/condo with no knowledge of what is/isn’t their responsibility.

It was a house not a condo. For a house I state that 100amp may be inadequate this day in age and should look to upgrade. With all the technology now a days, every receptacle is packed with devices, plus stove/oven, WH etc…

As @bhull1 stated, my report writing software (spectora) organizes this in a very organized manner that’s quick and easy for them to do what they need.

This is great! I can’t believe I haven’t included this in my reports. Thanks for this!

I appreciate the feedback and you taking the time to reply with all those suggestions, thank you!

1 Like

Oh he is one of Denvers favorite customers too! Haha.

Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate you taking the time to read my report!

condo homeowners

I made a mistake about the condo! I see it was a duplex.

You made my point. They do not know and likely the inspector does not know the HOA responsibilities either. It is not a huge detail, but there are other things in the report that might also be the HOA’s responsibility from decks, to sidewalks to siding, painting, caulking etc. I would just let the buyer sort it out so you do not box yourself in.

Long narratives is a style that many inspectors use. I would lie if I said I do not have some long narratives depending on the defect. It certainly does no harm. I call it “economizing my narrative”. It is a big part of my final review before I send it out.

Putting a report out there for critical feedback is smart! Take care and best of luck!