Scammer popping up in Tampa area

Be aware of a scammer posing as a buyer trying to set up an inspection. All on TXT, found me from my website.
Txted back and forth over a day and half about the property and details. Seemed legit but something was not quite right. Could not locate his realtor online. kept insisting on getting my name and address to send the check for payment even though I told him it would be on the invoice…

Then came the hit - He said "I’ll send you a check in excess of the amount of your inspection, an extra $50 for you and the rest to pay the Bug guy that will be there to meet you. " I said no and he went dark immediately. I wasted an hour doing the recon of pulling permits, setting up 4 PT , al that shit for this douchebag scammer. Don’t get fooled or waste your time. Name he used was Daniel Cole and his “realtor” that doesn’t seem to exist is “Mike Alan”
PHONE NUMBER IS 719-357-9892

6 Likes

Whoa thank you
Never would have thought about something like this

7 Likes

Too busy pimping your camper… :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

4 Likes

It paid off

7 Likes

Normally when the are two first names it’s a dead give away.

I have this happen about once a year.

If Im suspicious of something I will get in touch with the listing agent to see if the house is in escrow, if this person is actually a buyer.

2 Likes

I have had 2 of those in the last 2 weeks here in San Diego. It seems legit at first, but then there are red flags. These perpetrators think we are stupid. Does not work with me. Go with your gut as they say.

1 Like

Seems this may have happened once or twice to other inspectors :wink:

https://forum.nachi.org/t/scammers-soliciting-inspections/162972?u=bcawhern1

3 Likes

I was getting these scam attempts pretty much every week for a while last year, lately the scammers have slowed way down, at least trying to scam me, seems like I’m averaging around one a month these days.

I have had this scam attempted numerous times. They want to send cashiers check. Lol.

Get BlueMail for Mobile

1 Like

I hope you didn’t cash that. You will be liable as part of the scam if you did. I get these about twice a year. and normally just blow them off. The last one aws Jan. I gathered as much info as I could and was advised by the states attorney to forward to the FBI.

It was cashed & cleared quickly

4 Likes

My bank freely clears all deposited checks.
Check 'em out - Glazed Tom-Tom Bank

4 Likes

Weird thing about that bank, deposits are easy. But try to make a withdrawal!

5 Likes

This has happened twice so far this year. I play along just to make them write a check and spend money to send it. Then I send a text with a picture of the check torn in pieces and a laughing face

2 Likes

I have two of those thus far this year

Usually, first names are only given. So, what I have done is that I have a long text back with the process that must be follow. Includes contract signing and the accepted payment terms for the contract quantity only ect. It is just as normal information as posible. If they are valid customers, we continue a normal process. If they are trying a scam they won’t respond.

This scam is older than the Nigerian Prince looking to give away his money. If you don’t accept cheques, these scammers won’t bother you.

1 Like

I’ll be glad to send the routing number for deposits… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

We get those all the time.

It’s been going on for at least the 9 years I’ve been in business.

4 Likes

This is the same check this person always uses. They almost got me for a second. I told them that I had the CIA and local agents coming after them. Which i did. And they got all choked up and tucked there tail an ran. There is an Agent with that check an the names used assigned to it down here in south Florida. Hopefully they get them. I hate thieves more than anything. Dont let up on these scammers!.

2 Likes