Scammer Check Do Not Fall For

A text message was sent to me to inspect a house in my area. In fact I just inspected it a month before. The texter wanted me to inspect on a certain date along with a MOLD INSPECTOR. My fee was set and the texter said he will send a check registered and I was to pay the MOLD INSPECTOR by phone when I got the check. I signed for the check. It looks so official. Don’t fall for this-but do go along with it to make them spend money and waste their time

3 Likes

Nothing new!

1 Like

And this one just last week.

I appreciate Dennis posting a picture of the check. If this Preet Inc. is a legit company, they should be notified. If not, forward all your junk mail to the address listed on the check. M&T bank should be notified. Not that it would matter, but if anyone could track down that “mold inspector”, it would be sweet. “Sorry, I can only pay the mold inspector in cash. Have the inspector meet me at the property…” RIGHT!!!

3 Likes

Scammer drives a blue vehicle, or maybe the white one. And likes to keep his yard nice. :rofl:

(Yes, I know this is probably not the real scammer, lol.)

3 Likes

Most of the text messages are suspect. I don’t answer them. When they say their name and then ask for a specific date forget it. I set the schedule!

I just got my check today 3 times the cost. Wants me to pay the mold Inspector. From the remaining balance. No name of company or amount to pay them until I got the check. Insist playing them through Zelle.

1 Like

Something very similar just happened to me. Got asked to supervise a flooring contractor while I was to be doing the inspection. The check they mailed me was 2k over the inspection fee. After getting the check mailed to me i called the bank to verify the check and they said it did not match any of their records for and “official bank check”.

I just received a similar scam request. The guy requested date and services. He said sending usps courier ( weird nobody calls it that), said for ease he just included all services on 1 check and sent me more than inspection fee (1980.75).
First, there are no local banks for me to go have it verified so I had to go to my bank.
Do NOT cash or deposit it!
I had Wells Fargo look at it. They compare it to official checks from Truist and it is NOT the same plus routing is for SunTrust bank.
Banker said 99% fraudulent. Walk away.

1 Like

I have another scammer doing this again, check is on the way and I will text him a picture of the check all torn up. The text started out like the real thing. Then the scammer said he is having a mold expert also. DANG.

2 Likes

I played with him a little. Told him the Bank will not cash it or allow deposit so he needs to send me a cashiers check instead. Also to add $75 service fee to the total. Plus I called him a different name and when he responded he did not correct his name but tried to insist I need to deposit mobile app or atm.

“Hi Davidson (or whoever), since your mold inspection will done on the same day, I prefer you send them the check with my inspection fee included. Let them know that I only accept cash and won’t perform the inspection until I’m paid. Please have them contact me to verify inspection time and payment. Thanks!”

3 Likes

“Hi Davidson, May I call you Harley?”

5 Likes

Which reminds me, I’ve got a spring project to do in getting mine up and running. It’s been sitting in the garage for almost 3 years now… :flushed:

2 Likes